Making mineral powder sunscreen

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
PufBehaviour

Making mineral powder sunscreen

Post by PufBehaviour » Sun May 06, 2012 4:21 am

Hi! I was wondering if I could mix a sunscreen out of some powders like Ultra Sheer Zinc Finishing Powder, Pure Silk Powder and/or something else? Has anyone tried this? And what do you think the spf will be?

I'm trying to achieve something like Bare Minerals' Mineral Veil spf 25 but it should be natural and sheer, not tinted. Something I could carry with me and add easily whenever I feel like needing extra sun protection.

Thanks for any help!!
JenW

Re: Making mineral powder sunscreen

Post by JenW » Sun May 06, 2012 9:02 am

PufBehaviour wrote:Hi! I was wondering if I could mix a sunscreen out of some powders like Ultra Sheer Zinc Finishing Powder, Pure Silk Powder and/or something else? Has anyone tried this? And what do you think the spf will be?

I'm trying to achieve something like Bare Minerals' Mineral Veil spf 25 but it should be natural and sheer, not tinted. Something I could carry with me and add easily whenever I feel like needing extra sun protection.

Thanks for any help!!
While nothing we have is tested for SPF, I recommend that you read the description thoroughly on the Ultra Sheer Zinc.

I don't think there will be anyone here who will speculate as to what the SPF will work out to be for legal reasons, but I would use just the Ultra Sheer Zinc as is and not mix it with anything else unless you wanted to tint it. What I can relay from my own personal research....the zinc oxide and titanium dioxide percentages are the highest that the manufacturer of the ingredients recommends in formulations with these ingredients. I would not count on it being higher than the product mentioned in your post, though. And legally, I can't recommend using this in place of an SPF tested product.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
ladycattat

Post by ladycattat » Sun May 06, 2012 11:38 am

if it helps any, I wear the Ultra sheer Zinc Powder every day and have been for the past 2 years. In that time I have never gotten a sunburn on my face at all. Of course I haven't been at the beach baking either.
HTH,
Laurie
Summer,2012
90 Medium
5 BG
5.5 yellow

HG: Sheer Zinc Powder
and Equalizer
E/S..Spellbound, Adorn, and Juiced,
Lips: Roxie,Kinetic, Fascinate, Glacier, Nice Tan

There cannot be a crisis until next week. My schedule is already full.
Henry Kissinger
tori8780

Post by tori8780 » Mon May 21, 2012 7:58 pm

This sounds like it may be a great replacemet for my Peter Thomoas Roth sunscreen powder!!! I only use it to touch up in the middle of the day over my normal SPF 50, so this could be perfect :)
Autumn

Post by Autumn » Wed May 23, 2012 7:54 pm

tori8780 wrote:This sounds like it may be a great replacemet for my Peter Thomoas Roth sunscreen powder!!! I only use it to touch up in the middle of the day over my normal SPF 50, so this could be perfect :)
This is great as a touch up powder. I wear a traditional SS, then MMU foundation and SN finishing powder. This is sheer and perfect to add a layer of protection anytime. I like to have a travel retractable kabuki in my purse loaded.

I also have a lot of redness on my chest. I apply my spf 30 lotion. Sometimes I apply a layer of Equalizer and then the powder sunscreen. The powder sunscreen seems to help diffuse the wrinkles there (I am over 50) and helps calm.
Springfairy

Post by Springfairy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:10 pm

I hiked over 3000 metres on Tenerife and went to the beach with nothing but the Ultra Sheer Zinc Powder on my face and I didn't get any sunburn, just a nice and even tan. If only it could be turned into a cream. :)
"Everything that is done for us, without us, is not ours."
PufBehaviour

Post by PufBehaviour » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:44 am

Thanks everyone! I'm about to order Ultra Sheer Zinc Powder and try it myself ;) Thanks for help!