Help me with my headaches!

Come in and hang-out with the girls! All off topic posts go here.
zeebs

Help me with my headaches!

Post by zeebs » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:07 pm

Hi ladies,

Does anybody here have suggestions for treating migraines and tension headaches? I get both.

Thanks in advance. They are excruciating.
Xarata

Re: Help me with my headaches!

Post by Xarata » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:30 pm

OTC wise...Excedrin. Tylenol does not work for me. Advil does not work for me. Aspirin will only work if i take like 3 of them. Excedrin is tried and true for me. They make one for migraines and one for tension headaches. I've also been told they make one for "back and body" but I haven't been able to find it.

Non-medicated tricks...

-Aromatherapy has never worked for my headaches. It usually makes them worse. Even lavender
-Hot showers tend to help some for me because the heat helps the muscles relax and the tension release. It isn't sure-fire but it usually helps. I also sometimes use hot tea for a similar effect
-A good back/neck rub always helps but they're hard to come by
-Caffeine is one of the active ingredients in headache medicines. Easy no-hassle access to caffeine can be found in mints. I am partial to the penguin line of peppermints (which come in mint, chocolate, and cinnamon) and gum(comes in mint, kola, and citrus) found at http://www.peppermints.com

Generally I have a scale for my headaches classifying them as bearable or unbearable. The bearable ones I generally do nothing because i get them pretty often. The unbearable ones i take OTC meds for.
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com
mgmsrk

Post by mgmsrk » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:53 pm

I agree for OTC Excedrin is my first choice, it is the only OTC that ever stood a chance with my migraines. I do now use Imatrex and have for about 10 years it works very fast and pretty well always gets rid of them.

I like cool compresses for head aches, warm aggravates the pain for me. I take a mixing bowl add ice and water and a face cloth. I apply the face cloth to my forehead and eyes, when it is warm I dip bake in the water and wring.
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we are taught." (Baba Dioum)

www.Maryah-CBPP.com
deepix

Post by deepix » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:17 am

hmm...
isotonic drinks....
in some cases migraines are caused by electrolyte imbalance....
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:37 pm

I get tension headaches from time to time...generally a trip to the Chiropractor, or a good massage helps. I've also had wonderful luck with acupuncture. Staying hydrated, and taking fish oil helps too (check with your doctor first).
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten