Serums + Oils? Which first? Also can I 'dilute' Super serum?

lizziel

Serums + Oils? Which first? Also can I 'dilute' Super serum?

Post by lizziel » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:46 am

Hi everyone, I've been stalking these boards since I made my first purchase a week ago, and I've finally caved to ask my question(s) :).

I have taken to using Awesome Sauce Serum at night, I had originally intended to have it replace my current night time treatment: Rosehip Oil. I know they're not very alike, but I felt like I didn't need as much moisture, which is what I used the Rosehip Oil for. However now that I've tested it for a little while, I don't think the Serum will be moisturising enough on its own. Can I use both the serum and the oil in the same application (ie. at night)? Which would go on first?

My second question is re: Super Serum. I have been using it a little bit and I'm not sure my skin can handle it. I haven't had a huge reaction, but my face where I've been using it is a teensy bit redder. I would still like to get the benefits of this serum (the niacinamide in particular - even though that's likely(?) what's making me red) so I thought maybe I could dilute it, or mix a drop of it in with my current skin care. Is this possible? Or will the effect be so diluted there would be no point in it? If it is possible, what kind of things could I mix with? I don't use 'conventional' moisturisers, would mixing with rosehip oil be possible?

Lastly, I also got a sample of the AHA toner, I haven't used it yet (I think it'll be a weekly thing) but again I was wondering in which order to use my products. Serum, Rosehip oil, AHA? Or does the AHA go first?

Thanks in advance

PS. Also thanks to the SN team - my order shipped to the UK blindingly fast, and I love my eyeshadow samples! Thank you!
JenW

Re: Serums + Oils? Which first? Also can I 'dilute' Super se

Post by JenW » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:19 am

For night...serum first and the oil. Rosehip oil is not actually a moisturizer at all. Moisturizers usually have a large water element that is emulsified to mix with a small amount of oil. Oils work to seal moisture in.

Generally, you use the water based items before oil based ones..... Water based items don't absorb as easily with a light coating of oil in the skin.

You can dilute Super Serum on application. Some use water. (Don't add anything to the bottle or it will make the preservative less effective.) You could also try blending it with your rose hip oil, but that will not really dilute it as one is water based and the other is oil based. Is it possible there is a mild AHA in your cleanser? This is usually a good place to check for a possible issue with redness.

For the AHA Toner, you can use it in the evening with the Awesome Sauce.

Cleanse
Tone (AHA)
Treat (Awesome Sauce)
Seal (Rosehip oil)
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
Cupcake

Post by Cupcake » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:05 am

Hi lizziel, welcome to the boards. Outstanding advice from Jen, she's our Yoda. 8-) Can't add anything about your questions as she's covered that beautifully but I'll chirp up to add that we roughly get packages a week to the day from when the order is submitted (Friday mornings are a great time to order!) and be aware that the UK customs muppets have decreased the maximum order value to £15 (roughly $23) - larger than that and they slap on the fines of £8 + VAT (usually £13 total). Enjoy the brand, it's the best I've ever found (and I've been through most of them).
Xarata

Post by Xarata » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:14 am

I use water to dillute super serum. I get my face really wet and then apply the serum ( with wet hands, and if i feel it is necessary wet my face again after application) I also don't use the super serum everyday. maybe 1-2x per week. It can do amazing things for tone and acne, but the red face is pretty awful.
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com
lizziel

Post by lizziel » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:50 am

Wow thank you everyone for your quick (and informative) responses.

I am such an idiot, :oops: I even knew that
AHA + Super serum = bad
but I didn't even consider that my cleanser (which does have AHA in it) would leave a trace on my face after using it. That's obviously what it is, thanks Jen.

That's interesting about the rosehip oil, I had an idea it was something like that but I'm never really sure - still learning the ropes about moisturisers/lotions/hydration etc.. Dumb question but, if I wanted my face to be more hydrated would spraying with water and then putting oil on top help? That's more hypothetical than anything, I'm just curious as to how 'moisture' for the skin works. I guess the oil might displace the water...rendering that pretty useless? I'm going to stop talking now.

@Cupcake I heard about that, it is ridiculous! But the SN shipping is really reasonable so it doesn't bother me if I have to place multiple orders.

@Xarata thanks for sharing, so you still see a difference with all the diluting?
JenW

Post by JenW » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:23 am

Yes, you can spray your face with water and then put oil over the top. The best way to get hydration is to use a hydrating serum like Oatmeal Serum and then put the oil over. Serums are also layerable....I would use something like Awesome Sauce or Super Serum first and then Oatmeal Serum, and then the oil.

So glad we figured out where the redness was coming from..... You just might need a different cleanser in the morning to use Super Serum without redness.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
lizziel

Post by lizziel » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:42 am

thanks for all your help, I've been applying them as you've advised and I really love all the products! I have just bought a full size super serum and I got samples of the oatmeal serum - it sounds good for winter! Thanks again for everything,
Lizzie