What worked for your sensitive acneprone skin?

JenK

What worked for your sensitive acneprone skin?

Post by JenK » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:52 pm

I am new to SL skincare, but not natural skincare. I have sensitive reactive acne prone skin. I tried the greentea & aloe serum and found it to be gentle and hydrating. What other products work for acne prone skin? Also, I tend to have negative reactions to essiental oils,but the Pore Refining Tonic keeps catching my eye. Anyone use that?

Thanks
happyhiker

Re: What worked for your sensitive acneprone skin?

Post by happyhiker » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:14 pm

I have sensitive skin and as much as I wanted to be able to use the Super Serum, it irritated my skin (even when I mixed it with the green tea serum). However, I have found that the Vitamin C Peptide serum works well with my skin, doesn't irritate it, and helps keep acne at bay. You might want to try a sample of that.

What I truly love about SN is that there are samples for the skin care...I have purchased a bunch of skin care samples and have found that some work with my skin, some don't. And I'm not out a bunch of money (or have to deal with returning it) if it doesn't work.
Jill
JenK

Post by JenK » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:52 pm

The samples are priced so low, I figured it would be for 1-2 applications and was shocked by the large size. I was looking at both Vit C serums and getting confused. I am 37 and could really benefit from the peptides. It is hard to do anti-aging when you still get acne. I was eyeing the Super Serum, in the past I've had a hard time with Niacinamide being too harsh for my skin. Keep hoping this won't be as strong. Can't wait to order more samples.

Thanks!!!
WendyD

Post by WendyD » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:58 pm

How are you liking the Aloe and Green Tea serum? I was eyeing that when I was placing my last order, but I chose not to order it to keep the cost of my order low... I regret not at least getting a sample though.
packgal

Post by packgal » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:07 pm

for acne prone skin, i know many like the hemp moisturizer (i don't see the full size listed, but the sample is still there). i recommend the apricot cleansing oil too for oily/acne prone/sensitive skin. my favorite toner from karen was a pH balanced lavender one which i think she will be bringing back soon. the pore refining one was nice, though i didn't notice it making a difference in how noticeable my pores were. the orange oil in it was very subtle to me.
zeebs

Post by zeebs » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:03 pm

Unscented Dr. Bronner's soap (daily 2x) (I have not tried Karen's)
hydrogen peroxide (a few times per week)
Oatmeal serum (1-2 times per week)
Hemp moisturizer (daily 2x)
various masks (haven't found the "perfect" one yet)

also: squalene is one of the best things I have ever tried. I have not used the kind made from olives, just the kind made from sharks, and since it's not sustainable I haven't bought any more (it was a free sample) but I'm looking forward to trying the kind made of olives to see if it works just as well. but THAT was the ultimate face product for me.

Though I do have some trouble with using NaPCA containing products as a general rule, I can use the Oatmeal serum about once or twice a week and it's fine. I'm not sure if you have the same problem. But I just LOVE the hemp moisturizer. It's one of the only lotions I can use on my face.
Rhys

Post by Rhys » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:03 am

JenK wrote:The samples are priced so low, I figured it would be for 1-2 applications and was shocked by the large size. I was looking at both Vit C serums and getting confused. I am 37 and could really benefit from the peptides. It is hard to do anti-aging when you still get acne. I was eyeing the Super Serum, in the past I've had a hard time with Niacinamide being too harsh for my skin. Keep hoping this won't be as strong. Can't wait to order more samples.

Thanks!!!
If the Super Serum is too much for you, try a sample of the DMAE Facelift - that's got Vit C and peptides in it, too. And maybe a sample or two of the firming moisturiser - it comes in two varieties - regular and intensive. That's got Renovage, and it seems to cure most people of all kinds of skin problems from acne to aging - it's amazing stuff.

You probably also want the Oatmeal or Green Tea hydrating serum - those are gentle and your skin probably needs water anyway - everybody's does, especially this time of year.
mlle.gnome

Post by mlle.gnome » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:37 am

I also use the Hemp moisturizer now. My pores get clogged super easy, its très annoying. Im not sure what was continuing to clog them (white heads), but I stopped using the Raspberry and Intensive, switched to Hemp, and I'm not getting my "usual suspects" anymore. I also switched to the Super Serum (was using the Vit C Peptide). I really enjoyed my sample of Green Tea + Aloe, just haven't purchased yet. I can't wait to try Karen's Ph Toner, I was using the Pore Refining Toner, but wasn't experiencing the fantastic results others were :? So I found another Ph Toner and that seems to be doing something, just can't wait to try Karen's as I am also a SN fangirl! lol :) I also use the AHA toner (after my regular toner). Ive discovered (for me) that taking care of my skin is like going to the gym, if I want to see results I must be diligent, and I really must be because SN's AHA toner has done wonders for my white heads. Right now I'm doing the 20min for 2 weeks, but after I'll be doing 3-4x a week. Its really gentle and my skin can handle it. My cheeks are noticeably smoother (my problem area!!), but i do have to be diligent about the up keep after its smooth.

I take off makeup with Apricot Cleansing Oil, but don't feel comfortable with just using that (im a little paranoid). I use a face scrub, then the Kiss Cleanser. I <3 the Kiss Cleanser, it leaves your face totally clean feeling and no residue left behind. When I swab with toner, I *never* get dirty bits on the swab. That's been working for my skin, and its quite sensitive and very prone to getting clogs, which lead to nasty rough looking skin.
new2pgh

Post by new2pgh » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:44 am

I have normal to dry, sensitive, acne prone skin (quite a combo, right?). The Aloe and Green Tea serum is AMAZING for me - hydrating and soothing. the Facelist and Super Serum irritated my skin, but I'm currently loving the Vit C Peptide serum as well. I'm using aloe in the AM, and vit C in the PM (bought full sizes of both)

The Hemp moisturizer worked for me when I tried the sample, but I know it's not moisturizing enough for me for winter, so I haven't purchased a full size.

The Pore Minimizing Toner also works well for me - I'm almost at the end of my full size!

Although I had to give them a few tries, both the BHA and AHA toners are great exfoliators for my skin - but it's easy to overdo it and end up with breakouts! I've found that using each 1x/week is the right balance for me. (I've had sample sizes of each, and haven't run out yet)
JenK

Post by JenK » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:15 pm

THANKS EVERYONE

for taking the time to help me out w/ your thoughtful, detailed replies!!
I ordered a ton of samples, can't wait to try them. Must try to have self control so I can figure out what works and doesn't. I have been using my sample of Green Tea and Aloe and am still having good results. Seems to really calm and heal, plus makes pores and skin seem smoother.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out!!!!