Favorite thing about summer

Come in and hang-out with the girls! All off topic posts go here.
zeebs

Favorite thing about summer

Post by zeebs » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:38 pm

Tell us your favorite thing about summer.

Mine is laying out by the pool on my days off!
Rhys

Re: Favorite thing about summer

Post by Rhys » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:38 pm

No such luxuries here, but I like that it's light for 22 hours a day or so.

Of course, I like that it's dark in winter too. Just seems to suit.
tizzylou

Post by tizzylou » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:28 pm

No such luxeries around here either, but I do like the longer days and being able to spend time outside after I get off work.
I actually look forward to playing in the dirt come each spring, I love to figure out what plants I'm going to put into my flower pots this year and helping my DH out with his vegetable garden.

Holis
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:21 am

Seeing my toes not wrapped in layers of wool. Other than that- cherry picking. There's a gorgeous orchard that sits on a hill overlooking the lake, and we pick cherries, hang out in the orchard, and just relax. I love that orchard, and sometimes I just bring a book and leave my husband to do the picking. He loves it- he's normally a very serious computer geek (and a "city boy"), but one day a year he runs around and climbs trees- which I think is just so cute. Cherry season is short, so sometimes we barely get a few pounds- but some years we manage enough to make a pie- I don't care- it's just a lovely way to pass an afternoon. We pick blueberries, and raspberries too, but cherries are my favorite.

There's a lot of very cool geology and waterfalls in the area, so sometimes we go hiking through the gorges. The Watkins Glen gorge is my favorite (mainly because I grew up there). In the stretch of about a mile there are 23 waterfalls as you hike through the Glen- it's just Mother Nature at her finest. I also love just hanging out in the village and looking at all the cool cars. There's a race track in Watkins and there are always something interesting driving down main street. I'm not much of a gear head, but they are really fun to look at.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
deepix

Post by deepix » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:46 am

Where I come from it's like summer all year round. So, it's a normal routine thing. Life goes on the same whole year. What is different, is winter...which I have a love-hate relationship with. Lol!
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:52 am

I like the freedom of schedule (mostly not having to be somewhere in the am). I like to be able to sleep in a little, and I like campfires in our firepit. We can do pretty much what we want.......after ballgames, transporting to and from daycamp, shopping with kids instead of alone, chores, yardwork, etc. It definitely has its trade-offs, but it is good to do something different for a while.

Some of my best memories are of picking blueberries with my Mom. The last time we did together, she was a few weeks out of surgery, and I was a few months pregnant with my first. We ate bluerries in everything for a while. Then when she was too sick to go (the next summer), I found a place near where I lived when DD was a baby to pick them with a friend. I am still looking for a place around here!!!!
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
zeebs

Post by zeebs » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:36 am

I am lucky enough to have a neighborhood pool - so don't go thinking I live in the lap of luxury or anything :) I am a normal middle-class gal.

Mmmmm blueberries. That sounds delicious.

Also I love sitting on the patio with friends!