Super Serum and Melasma

JenK

Super Serum and Melasma

Post by JenK » Sun May 09, 2010 9:10 pm

Has anyone had luck using Super Serum (or the other serums w/ Vit C) on their Melasma? In the past my skin hated Vit C and Niacinamide, so I am going slowly and just spot treating what needs to be lightened and if my skin doesn't go CRAZY I will use on my full face. So far so good, no reactions (maybe what I used in the past was way too strong).

Thanks!
kitten1711

Re: Super Serum and Melasma

Post by kitten1711 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:50 am

Hi JenK,

I also have melasma and have had pretty good results with Super Serum; I've repurchased several times now (?4 bottles?) and have been using it since it was first released - I've definitely noticed a positive dfference in my skin. I did try the Vit C serum but only the one bottle, and I wasn't anything like as impressed.

Unlike other serums for hyperpigmentation or 'whitening' products I've tried this is much runnier - and I like that; you need less because it spreads more easily, feels like it's soaking in much better, hydrates my skin and layers well under other products without that nasty balling/pilling which can sometimes happen wth silicone based serums. Becasue there's no silicone I haven't experienced the breakouts I've had in the past from other products (nightmare - because I suffer badly from post breakout hyperpigmentation); I also use it all over my face, not just on the darker patches and I've been lucky enough not to have had any type of reaction.

Super Serum has improved the texture of my skin and has really reduced post inflammatory marks, and I **think** it's helped with my melasma too; this is no mean feat because after a visit to the dermatologist I was told that my melasma was dermal (deeper in the skin and therefore harder to treat) so I suspect as with any product of this type, those with epidermal (surface) melasma will respond more quickly and experience more dramatic results.

Hope it works for you :)

Txx
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue May 11, 2010 1:40 pm

I was hoping kitten1711 would post. I knew she was the one with the experience! Thanks, Txx!
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
JenK

Post by JenK » Wed May 12, 2010 9:16 am

Kitten1711,

Sounds like we had pretty much the same experiences w/ other products. I have no clue how people use those products w/ success. I never tried Tri-Luna (think that is the name), my Dr told me he didn't recommend it...comes right back when you stop and really thins the skin.
I've tried a few other natural serums, they didn't do much but irritate my skin and I was left w/ melasma, redness and acne...lovely!! The only ingredient I ever found to really help is Pycnogenol (French Maritime Pine Bark Extract), but it is so strong. I developed major irritation and stopped. I tried diluting it and still had problems ( it gets stronger as it ages). The company I tried tends to make their products very strong, I always joke they are too quality for my whacked skin.

I've been using Super Serum w/ no issues (fingers crossed) for about a week. I have never been able to use Vit C in the past, but I never tried the form Karen uses.

For some reason my melasma really doesn't get to me. As long as my skin is clear and healthy looking I am fine. I figure if I find something to help that is great, but I am not willing to upset my skin. I will be happy w/ a slight change. I am so happy to hear your skin is over all better. Do you use AM and PM.

Thanks!
kitten1711

Post by kitten1711 » Thu May 13, 2010 4:55 am

Hiya,

I'm also at the stage where I don't let it bother me - I've had it for about 6 years so am very used to it, and now, thanks to very vigilant use of high factor sunscreen and SuperSerum (plus a wide brimmed hat collection on the sunniest days......although I do live in the UK so we don't get that many of those :lol: ) it's the lightest it's ever been.

I know what you mean about those products containing hydroquinone - scary; I had heard of pycnogenol being used successfully as a supplement to treat melasma but not as a skin care product, so that's a new one on me, but anything irritating is just unpleasant. I was acually advised by my dermatologist to always treat skin with melasma gently as anything aggressive can just worsen it so I always use as natural as possible skin care and cosmetics.

I do indeed use SS every day both am & pm; I like it on its own in an evening as it provides just enough hydration before bed (never did like gloopy overly rich night creams) and before my moisturiser & sunscreen in the morning.

I actually went to see my Doctor about something else the other day and said to him 'as you can see, I have melasma', and his response was 'well I can't see it, maybe just a couple of freckles' so something I'm using is doing the trick 8-)

Txx
JenK

Post by JenK » Thu May 13, 2010 4:58 pm

My hat collection gets larger and larger. I love the looks I get wearing a cowboy hat in new england...LOL!! I always use sunscreen and found both chemical and physical work the same for me.

When I started using Differin for acne is when my melasma came out. Before that I had the slightest browning above my lip. Differin worked so well on my acne and I swear it helped w/ anti-aging so I stayed w/ it. I was hoping when I stopped it would go away, but it didn't. I agree, gentle is better.

I rememeber coming across a melasma website selling a supplement w/ pycnogenol. Never tried it, I aways fear what internet supplements will do to your health.

That is wonderful what your doctor said, must make you feel awesome!!
JenK

Post by JenK » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:37 pm

Just wanted to update for anyone w/ melasma. I've been using the Otameal Serum daily AM on area's I get melasma and have noticed lightening of existing patches. I read licorice extract helps slow/stop the production of the enzyme that produces melanin. So it not only helps lighten, but stops the darkening from occuring. Ontop of that it is a wonderful serum.
packgal

Post by packgal » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:57 pm

thanks for posting that JenK. i have melasma and the super serum makes my skin go crazy in a bad way, but i can use the oatmeal no problem.
kitten1711

Post by kitten1711 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:31 am

JenK wrote:Just wanted to update for anyone w/ melasma. I've been using the Otameal Serum daily AM on area's I get melasma and have noticed lightening of existing patches. I read licorice extract helps slow/stop the production of the enzyme that produces melanin. So it not only helps lighten, but stops the darkening from occuring. Ontop of that it is a wonderful serum.
So glad to hear the Oatmeal has worked so well for you - I'll be giving this a try next time instead of Super Serum; it's a definite plus that you get twice as much for around half the price of Super Serum too. Brilliant, hope it continues to improve the pesky dark patches :D

Txx