Make-up style

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
Shirin

Make-up style

Post by Shirin » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:37 pm

I dont know if there is anyone like me as crazy as me, but when it comes to style, be it make-up or wardrobe i am being a perfectionist and a geek! Must be me being midt thirties, growing up that is, and desperately drawing a picture of me, not an identity search as in who i am, i think i know that already, but what do iwant to look like, my image, m'y style! Toppriority, ladies, ha ha, not, of course m'y lovely t'en months young daughter and my dear hubby, as well as m'y friends and striving to become a better person comes first...but when m'y sweetie sleeps at last and i lie inbedwith m'y iPod, defining and restricting my style seems to be m'y favorite occupation, Besides looking more polished goes hand inhand with becoming more you, n'est-ce pas! This whole crazy adventure of restricting startedwhen i read a Book about simplicity, a japanese philosophy on minimalisme, you know thé convential 'less is more' oriental version!

Anyways, thought, as i am spendind sooo much Time, just looking at pictures of Colors of lippues and shadow ( but then Colors gave always fascinated me, and since a child i collectes sémi- precious stones for thé joy of Colors, restrained myself to sample lippies and polishes i would only loook at thogh) i'd as well write this to havé Some thougt exchange, might be more fun! :P
zeebs

Re: Make-up style

Post by zeebs » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:15 pm

I just started the same process. I guess I have always struggled with fashion and etc and loved shopping for clothes, but recently I have become more interested in those things and feel more comfortable making good style decisions. I don't have a lot of money to buy new things but I've become much more discriminating in what I buy and what I keep around as I've gotten older. I do think that being in one's thirties kind of predisposes one to question one's societal roles and personal identity. It's easy when we're in our twenties to simply try on the fashions of others and try new things but it seems like that all gets old really fast once we get a bit older. I am going through some kind of identity crisis on a lot of levels and this whole wardrobe thing seems symptomatic.

I have some trouble because my style is sort of eccentric to begin with and I feel a lot of pressure from others to conform as I get older, both outwardly and inwardly. I resent that pressure but no longer have youth on my side if I choose to rebel against it. It's kind of a predicament sometimes.
superwahz

Post by superwahz » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:57 am

Mmmm, I feel that whole identity/style crisis thing as well. I blame it on my Saturn Return though. :lol:

Actually that whole thing, my ever increasing wardrobe yet feeling I have nothing to wear, and my insanely huge makeup collection, led me to get a professional color analysis. I realized that while I can go in a store and point out what would look best on and suit the personalities of my mother, sister, and various friends, I cannot for the life of me do this for myself. On me, I lose all objectivity with color, cut, etc... And because where I live right now I'm not surrounded by a group of friends, I don't have that instant feedback in person either. So, I needed some sort of direction! I know some people really poo poo on the whole color analysis thing, but for me, it was very, very helpful. Image consultants that do them also do things like style consults too, but, um, my savings account says no. ;)

So now I'm working on defining my own personal style. It's weird for me, because I've never been the "looks centered" type, so taking pictures, browsing beauty and fashion blogs, reading fashion books, it's all very foreign to me and TBH, makes me feel a little vain sometimes. :roll: But then I remember that personal fashion identity ties in very closely to our inner selves... For me, I want the colors and styles I wear to express who I am without overpowering me. In other words, I want them to support my expressing and being my true self, without distracting from it. Self authenticity, genuineness...themes in my life...can ya tell? :P
Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic. ~Rosalind Russell
Die Marchen

Post by Die Marchen » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:59 am

What a topic, ladies, what a topic...))))

I have everything vice versa. I was a very serious teenager, I went to University very early, I started working as a teacher while I was a student and etc. I was making a career there. So I looked - there was one period when I had no jeans at all. Though my husband was (now less) quite eccentric.
Actually I always looked younger and I was and now too. After midnight my birthday party moved to the club and I met some schoolgirls there (they looked waaay older) and they asked me how old am I. They didn't believe I'm 29! They thought I was kidding. And it was pleasant! I left uni, I run my indie business, I'm a boy's mother and I feel I want to be young and actually now I feel younger than at 18! I have cellulite and etc, but now I take myself easily and wear shorts and etc. I became more opened and in clothes too and feel comfortable. When I was pregnant I was wearing bright bold colors - Like canary and safety with bold purple liner that made my eyes pop) I started loving bright color)))
Now I'm not that bright. But now I feel I can stand them. And they do not look vulgar at all. Now I don't have to try to look more grown up. But these bright colors do look elegant and appropriate)))

When I was younger I didn't have much cosmetics. I didn't have much money and while my friends were buying a lot of cheap smth I preferred smth more safe. Now I can buy almost any cosmetic product (I didn't say every! but I can afford one expensive:-) and how I found such an affordable high-quality brand... And I became an addict))) I have 20 e/s, 8 lippies, 6 blushes, 2 bronzers, 2 mascaras... and I'm afraid it is not all)))
Current ratio, Sept. 13: 1 Ebony : 1 Buttery Gold : 15 All Purpose : 5 Ivory : 2 Yellow : 1 Liberty : 1 Beach Bunny
The mix is pale and does't look yellow
Kirti

Post by Kirti » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:03 pm

Shirin wrote:I dont know if there is anyone like me as crazy as me, but when it comes to style, be it make-up or wardrobe i am being a perfectionist and a geek! Must be me being midt thirties, growing up that is, and desperately drawing a picture of me, not an identity search as in who i am, i think i know that already, but what do iwant to look like, my image, m'y style! Toppriority, ladies, ha ha, not, of course m'y lovely t'en months young daughter and my dear hubby, as well as m'y friends and striving to become a better person comes first...but when m'y sweetie sleeps at last and i lie inbedwith m'y iPod, defining and restricting my style seems to be m'y favorite occupation, Besides looking more polished goes hand inhand with becoming more you, n'est-ce pas! This whole crazy adventure of restricting startedwhen i read a Book about simplicity, a japanese philosophy on minimalisme, you know thé convential 'less is more' oriental version!

Anyways, thought, as i am spendind sooo much Time, just looking at pictures of Colors of lippues and shadow ( but then Colors gave always fascinated me, and since a child i collectes sémi- precious stones for thé joy of Colors, restrained myself to sample lippies and polishes i would only loook at thogh) i'd as well write this to havé Some thougt exchange, might be more fun! :P
I started off with bright, ridiculous makeup in an effort to emulate all the "posh"/"stylish"/"cool" girls around me - it's only now that I'm beginning to get an idea of what I want to look like when I'm made up. I like my natural skin to show through, I'd prefer mineral makeup to MAC and MUFE anyday, I don't like my blush to look like I just got punched in the face! But contrary to all that, I love bolder eye makeup and smokey eyes are my speciality! Still, I'm learning every day :)
http://kiandmakeup.blogspot.com/
Shirin

Post by Shirin » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:05 pm

Very, very interesting reads ladioes :D !!!
There is many things I'd like to say but another time, not feeling in top shape today, breastfeeding is making me sick again. But i adfore bf my daughter and would not want to deprive her of it.
Silverfern

Post by Silverfern » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:33 pm

I wore very little makeup until a few years ago. Even when I died my hair blue and wore combat boots for like 10 years, still didn't wear much makeup.

Now that my hair is normal and I'm in business school, I wear the craziest eye colors. I want to line my eyes with thick black liner and wear shimmery teal or matte orange all the time. But I don't. Mostly, I don't have time to do it right. It's easier to throw on normal looking colors (yeah for eta-taupe-ia(sp)) . Don't get me wrong, I like them too. But I really want to goth up my eyes, haha.
lilychemgirl

Post by lilychemgirl » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:04 pm

I have been a bit like you die marchen, and because I always looked very young for my age (sadly I don't seem to any more, now that I would like to!) I dressed older. My 'style' has always been very formal (for the situation) and relatively minimal. My style icons are people like Audrey Hepburn and anyone from the 50s :)
In terms of makeup, when I was younger it was a neutral eye, a glossy mlbb lip. It has only been the past few years that I have really started exploring makeup. Now that I am older, I feel like I can get away with more bold looks without looking like I am playing with my mother's makeup!
I go through phases, sometimes I wear super bright eyes (today for example I am wearing a matte lemon yellow on the lid, witches brew (gorgeous neon shimmery green GWP) on the outer v and black liner and mascara. I am wearing rare berry on the lips. Other times I get really into bright or bold lips (reddy, casual red, brighter colours like mango and hibiscus) and go for more subtle eyes so as not to look like a clown.
My clothes are still pretty neutral. Today I am wearing a taupe sweater belted with a matching taupe and black scarf, and a black knee length a-line type skirt, with open toed taupe wedge heels and red toenails :) I'm pretty comfortable with my 'look', and I feel much more like 'me' with more formal clothes (even though I am a SAHM of two young children) rather than casual clothes (I'm not a jeans and t-shirt type of girl!). Also my signature hair is long straight and blonde (like my profile pic - that's my natural colour). I have had short hair before, but I just don't feel like me.
Mineral makeup addict, Mama to three amazing girls, loving wife to Tom ♥