Help me pick some eyeshadows!

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
MagRo

Help me pick some eyeshadows!

Post by MagRo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:07 pm

I'm going to have a big order once I get paid, so I need to pick some eyeshadows! I'm pale with strawberry blonde hair and blue eyes that sometimes look teal. My favorite eyeshadow I have from SN is Legend. I sometimes also use Lovelace as a shadow liner because it makes the blue pop. I like purples but I have to be cautious that they don't make my undereye circles more noticeable. I never wear brown, though I have a shimmery greyish browninsh Lancome that I do like (unfortunately the label has worn off or I'd ask for a color clone!)

I don't like any blues that are brighter than my own eye color (ie cobalt) since it takes away from my eye color. I'm also cautious with shimmer- don't want to magnify the fine lines!

Suggestions ;) ?
JenW

Re: Help me pick some eyeshadows!

Post by JenW » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:25 pm

Try some of the warmer Eye Light tones...

The best way to find them is to enter EL* in the search box at the top of the web page..... (And I just discovered this myself today! LOL!) I know there is a coppery one-Hairpin, and I think the warm pinks would be lovely on you- Model & Custom. Have you ever tried blues that are more green? Or greens?
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
zeebs

Post by zeebs » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:48 pm

Frills! I haven't tried the other nude pinks Jen suggested, but Frills is one I think might work for you, also.
cclee00

Post by cclee00 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:29 pm

You mentioned a greyish-brownish color - I have Moonstone sitting in my cart waiting to be ordered and it's described as a "warm light grey semi-shimmer." That might work for you?

I've read that brown eyeshadow can make blue eyes pop - I'm not much of a neutral fan, but when I do buy neutrals, I look for something that has a little extra "something." I'm ordering Graceful, Custom, Moonstone, Teacher's Pet, and Glory in my next order, and they all have good reviews and swatches. As JenW mentioned, Custom and Model go together and are good choices for special neutrals - I have Model and it's beautiful.

The Stonewashed Nudes palette clone has excellent reviews - I don't have it, but every review I read raved about it.

I love purples - if you're worried about drawing attention to undereye issues, just make sure you have a good concealer and most likely stay away from any "muddied" purples - just straight purple will probably work better than one that leans grey or blue.

Imho, pick a couple colors that seem "safe," a couple that seem slightly daring, and just one or two that you're drawn to but might not normally consider. Look through some swatches and maybe a beauty magazine or two - if you practice enough you can pull anything off!

Hopefully that helps! :)
Caroline

Makeup junkie extraordinaire and geek