Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
JenW

Re: Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Post by JenW » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:23 am

Map1e-

Olive color base. It will match the best and help a little with redness. I would try a ratio around 1 scoop color to about 12 white (it could be more than this, but it will be at least 11). Since it is a new territory for you, I recommend using light coverage. The Original Foundation (white) is the place to start.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
lonelily

Post by lonelily » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:37 pm

I could really need some help in the foundation department! Pretty please with sugar on top!

My closest match has been 'soft butter peach' from EDM, but not it is discontinued and the formula was not for me. Most of the neutrals I've tried has made me look very grey and lifeless. I've found I need to go a lot cooler than I initially thought, but my skin seems to have peach undertones? My skin is pale and sensitive, but I tan easily and never burn, not a golden tan though a more "dirty" tan. And my haircolor (dyed in the pics) is now my natural, sort of ash blonde/light brown. I can't seem to figure it out because sometimes I think my skin looks good with certain cold colors too. Sorry for the corny pics, it was what I could find that I thought showed some variety as I couldn't find any outdoor ones. The first one is in the early summer with some bronzer on, obviously I have make up in all of these, but I hope it can still give a pretty good clue for a trained eye :D

Any clues to what colors to go for in blush or lipstick would be very much appreciated too :))
JenW

Post by JenW » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:27 pm

lonelily-

You can try a few things......

Warm Gold or Peach. Maybe even Olive. The reason I do say Warm Gold is that I do see some yellow in the second pic. But you said you need cooler....so Peach, but your skin also looks similar to mine (and I think that soft butter peach base you mentioned was a pretty close match for me, but it was too yellow....Warm Gold is too yellow for me, but Peach is too pink.)

Warm Gold will be close to 1 scoop color to about 9-10 white.
Peach will be 1 scoop color to about 24 white....24 white is 1/4 tsp + 1/2 tsp.
Olive will be 1 scoop color to about 12-15 white

For blush try Satisfied and Flirt. For lips try Maiden, Eden, or Fizz.
Faves-
lonelily

Post by lonelily » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:02 am

Thank you so much Jen! I ordered a bit of everything, so I can`t wait to mix and see what category I'll fit in. I also ordered the other stuff you recommended, the colors looked gorgeous! My skin is a little warmer than neutral so I do probably need a little bit of yellow :)) Is it possible to mix the golden yellow with some of the peach, or will that end up just a waste of pigment?
JenW

Post by JenW » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:38 pm

lonelily wrote:Thank you so much Jen! I ordered a bit of everything, so I can`t wait to mix and see what category I'll fit in. I also ordered the other stuff you recommended, the colors looked gorgeous! My skin is a little warmer than neutral so I do probably need a little bit of yellow :))

Is it possible to mix the golden yellow with some of the peach, or will that end up just a waste of pigment?
You are welcome. As for the pigments that are not quite right..... For the amount of money you would be out just dumping them, it is not worth chancing messing up a bunch of your white base and having to dump it all. Go with what works.
Faves-
bestbeauty

Post by bestbeauty » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:46 am

Hi there.

I have made my order for the perfect harmony sample, so I thought I would post my pic to help me when the post arrives!

Over the years I have found a pretty good match to my skin using these products: NUDE tinted moisturizer by Laura Mercier, prescriptives makeup+ in yellow/orange soft ecru, which I had colour matched an eon ago, but the dregs in the bottle still matches my jaw bone well. I remember being pleased with the match at the time.....

In minerals, I have never found a really good match but have used original BE in fairly light on and off for years. It always looks too dark in the pot, but buffed lightly, I think that the 'bismuth glow' stops it from looking too dark? Anyway these are the foundations that I have had matched at a beauty counter over the years.

I do feel that I have a yellowy undertone to my skin (see my neck and around my mouth) even in winter, though I also have that pinky tone on my face, so never know if I am warm or cool.....
Really getting excited about playing foundation chemist in my bathroom!!
Attachments
natural daylight-on a cloudy day.
natural daylight-on a cloudy day.
IMG00295-20120218-1033.jpg (52.6 KiB) Viewed 2755 times
natural daylight-on a sunnier day
natural daylight-on a sunnier day
IMG00340-20120219-1026.jpg (50.53 KiB) Viewed 2755 times
Loving the Spring Collection from SN.

Helen xx

bbfriendforever.blogspot.co.uk
JenW

Post by JenW » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:00 pm

bestbeauty-

I would try Warm Gold first. I think about a 1 scoop color to about 9 white. Warm Gold has components of pink and yellow. From the pics, though, I am leaning Olive. For Olive, the ratio will be 1 color to about 14 white. I hope that at least gives you a starting point. Let me know if you need help adjusting. Sometimes if you can tell me what is wrong with a color, I can help fix it or suggest what to try next.
Faves-
bestbeauty

Post by bestbeauty » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:40 pm

Hello JenW

Firstly thank you so much for the speedy analysis.....

Wow! I would never have thought olive, I guess I can make small batches of warm gold and another of olive when the samples arrive in the ratios you suggest....also I note that you are currently olive 1:14.

Will get back to you with my results in due course.

Kindest regards

bestbeauty. x

Helen xx

bestbeauty

Post by bestbeauty » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:21 am

Hello JenW

Hurrah! the samples arrived. So what a fun afternoon I've had!
I did a quick swiping swatch (as suggested on the leaflet inside the parcel) but on the back of my forearm, as this has several different tones, to see which base colour looked the closest to my skin tones. I thought that olive came the closest, so I opted to try this first.....

Using the quantities you suggested, here are my results:

1. Olive in 1:14 ratio, this looked quite pale on the skin, and seemed to match the general tones, but it did seem to cancel out any yellow tones I have in may face, as my neck is more yellow than my face, the difference between them is apparent.

2. Warm Gold in 1:9. Again this looked quite pale initially then I looked in different daylight (north and south facing windows) and my face retains some warm yellow tones, which then blends down to the neck better. Enough pinkness of my face shows through to stop this looking unnatural.

I took the picture to show you my results. I don't know if you have any suggestions further to what I have already tried.

I then added a swirl of light tart blush, which looks lovely and fresh and a bit of the 'caliber' free eyeshadow sample which suits my pale steel blue eyes!

I am now going to compile an order, but would be interested in your suggestions re blush, finishing powders, minerals glows etc. (I do have a dry skin FYI)
Also eyeshadows, as I never know what suits me. I have pale steel blue eyes with a dark steel grey rim but no other colours in the iris.
There is such a choice, I am having so much trouble deciding!

Many thanks for your help.

Kindest regards

bestbeauty x

p.s sorry pic so big!
Attachments
AARRHHHH! no lipstick!!!
AARRHHHH! no lipstick!!!
BBFFfeb12 069.jpg (313.61 KiB) Viewed 2739 times

Helen xx

JenW

Post by JenW » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:09 pm

bestbeauty-

The color usually darkens just a little once the foundation has a chance to mix with the oils in your skin. Initially, you do want it to look about a shade too light, or by the end of the day it looks slightly dark. It is just part of what minerals do when mixed with oil.

Warm Gold probably looks best, or if you ever find it too pink, you can add a little Yellow Booster to the mix of Olive that you tried. Pictures don't tell me everything, so I trust your eye better than what the picture shows.

I will give some recommendations for the other products, but often you will get great advice from those with similar coloring by posting in another thread.

Blush: Afterglow, BronzedBeauty, Maybe Baby is great for pairing with a darker lip shade.
Finishing Powders: Blur Powders tend to be the more drying, Perfecting Powders are what I usually suggest. Date Bait if you don't mind a hint of pink, the translucent shade if not.
Mineral Glows: There is a product between the Perfecting Powders and Glows, called Perfecting glows. I would recommend Splendid. It is a little bit peachy. Pristine might be a bit too dark, and Crystal will be cooler pink than Date Bait.
Eyeshadows: I would think peachy and coppery tones would also bee good with Caliber. Highbeam, Touring, Loaded is a good one. Model and Nekkid. Bare is a great one wash color for you to lighten and brighten the eye area, too.
Faves-