Very dry cracked heels

rfnandkcn

Very dry cracked heels

Post by rfnandkcn » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:04 am

I need help. My heels are very badly cracked and dry. I have tried cremes with urea and I even have used neosporin, but nothing has help. One heel is cracked so badly that it can bleed from time to time. I need something thick that I can put on and then put socks on for overnight. I run almost every day, and my feet are really in poor shape.

I would really appreciate suggestions.
JenW

Re: Very dry cracked heels

Post by JenW » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:17 am

The only thing I can think of that might help is our Pumpkin Salve.

http://host.silknaturals.com/creb/pumpk ... -1170.html

I would soak the feet, use a pumice stone to remove the dry skin that you can, layer the Pumpkin Salve, then a thick and moisturizing cream, and then put on socks. (Are your socks cotton or a blend? I think cotton might be better for now.)

Otherwise, I hope others can chime in. I tend to go more extreme when the dry heels are cracked and bleeding. I might personally even go with something not so natural and petroleum based.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
rfnandkcn

Post by rfnandkcn » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:03 am

Thanks. I will try it. Maybe followed with Moisture Magic? And definitely cotton socks.
JenW

Post by JenW » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:31 am

Moisture Magic does sink in very fast with very little greasiness, so maybe it would be a good option for day as you feet will be pretty coated with the other and not so great for moving around.

I find the Body Butter to be just a little thicker. The Unscented Body Butter might be better for night treatment with the Pumpkin Salve because you really need a good seal. Or, any heavy butter type cream you might have will work.

Also, I would probably only use the pumice stone every other or every few days. My concern there is irritation.

(So different to be recommending a day and night protocol for feet! I love it! ;) )
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
rfnandkcn

Post by rfnandkcn » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:40 pm

Thanks for the advice. I will try the body butter with it then. I know, feet! Guess there is a first time for everything!
bestbeauty

Post by bestbeauty » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:10 pm

Hi
I was a state registered chiropodist for 15 years here in the UK so I have seen more cracked heels than you've had hot dinners.
What you need is a professional (podiatrist/chiropodist) to carefully remove the excess skin, then the best thing is a cream with a high urea (25%) content such as flexitol. Application of any cream on hyperkeratosis (thickened skin) will be a waste of cream until the very tough skin is removed, the hydrating ingredients cannot penetrate to work properly, then you might find that the suggestions given here by JenW do help...

If you are running every day then make sure that your trainers are super cushioned, or try some silicon gel insoles.

Try to avoid wearing flip flops and open backed shoes as the skin will lose precious moisture which would otherwise be retained by hosiery and footwear.

I am happy to answer any further questions you may have, it may be that there is an underlying problem, so if you PM a photo of the said cracks to me then I can probably tell you if you need to investigate this further.
Loving the Spring Collection from SN.

Helen xx

bbfriendforever.blogspot.co.uk
rfnandkcn

Post by rfnandkcn » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:55 pm

How very kind of you. I really appreciate it. I have not seen the brand you mentioned here in stores, but I do see it on Drugstore.com. I will order it and try. Is it best to put socks on after? Is it safe to use where the cracks are really deep? I do wear open heel footwear quite a bit and will try to avoid that as well.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your expertise and for being so kind.

Kathi
bestbeauty

Post by bestbeauty » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:21 pm

Hi Kathi

I glad you found the cream online. The best thing is to put the cream all over all the heels, it will sting a bit if it gets into any really deep/open cracks, but nothing unbearable...it will at least be working on the hard edges of said cracks to soften. The cream is very rich and so socks are a good idea to put on after, I wouldn't want you to slip over because of 'greasy' heels!

I suggest you sit on the edge of the bed and put on a decent layer last thing at night followed by socks, then a thin layer in the morning before you but on your running socks.

Re the open backed footwear, glad you noted that...it's a common problem.

Hope that it works for you... but don't hesitate to pm me if you need further advice. x
Loving the Spring Collection from SN.

Helen xx

bbfriendforever.blogspot.co.uk