'Leaking' lippies, advice please

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
Springfairy

'Leaking' lippies, advice please

Post by Springfairy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:14 pm

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has a similar problem. Some of the lippies leak into the small cracks near my mouth. The worst is Crimson, within half an hour I looked like a clown but had a similar problem to a lesser extent with Black Dahlia, Reddy and Sultry. I tried a lipliner but no real improvement. I love the colours and rather not send them back. Thanks for any advice you may have.
"Everything that is done for us, without us, is not ours."
Xarata

Re: 'Leaking' lippies, advice please

Post by Xarata » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:33 am

A lip liner should have worked. If just lining didn't keep it put, did you try "priming" your whole lip with a liner?

This doesn't happen to me, but I've seen it happen to other people and it is just terrible. Reds can be tricky. Try priming before and blotting a bit after. Good luck!

Also, if you just can't get it to work, the stains stay put and you can wear whatever balm over them you favor. Scarlet is an excellent red.
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:23 pm

The other trick that I *just* thought of...after a few days of trying a few things is to blot. My Aunt Helen's (a goddess of her time) trick was to keep the tissue on her lips and apply the slightest dusting of powder on top. I've done it with other lippies (not ours) over the years and it works really well.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
Springfairy

Post by Springfairy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:51 am

Thanks a lot for these tips, Karen and Samantha! I'll try both and see what happens.
Cupcake

Post by Cupcake » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:46 am

You can get lip pencils which are simply a clear form of wax base and you line around the outside of the lip directly on to the skin. This forms a barrier to stop the lip colour seeping onto skin. I can't think of a brand at the moment but they're readily available mainstream. It's handy because it can double as a lip-surround primer and can work to smooth out the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles on the edge of the lip area. I've seen it work wonders on smoker's lips and helps richer formula lip products (and also dark high maintenance colours) stay put for hours with confidence.
Die Marchen

Post by Die Marchen » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:35 pm

I have this problem with Blaze, while Reddy works fine. And I plan to get Crimson one day, hope it stays where it should be.

My desicion was to paint lips with a liner or other lippie (hot blooded or Reddy) and add just a little bit of leaky Blaze in the center of the lips just to add some Blaze flair.
Current ratio, Sept. 13: 1 Ebony : 1 Buttery Gold : 15 All Purpose : 5 Ivory : 2 Yellow : 1 Liberty : 1 Beach Bunny
The mix is pale and does't look yellow
Springfairy

Post by Springfairy » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:00 am

Thanks for more advice. I can't wear mainstream lipliners at all (I have very sensitive skin unfortunately) but would be great to have recommendations for a lipliner with high wax content that is organic. At the moment I use a lipliner from Alverde, a German organic drugstore brand, but it's not very waxy.

Karen, would you be up for a waxy lipliner that keeps the trickier colours in place?
Die Marchen

Post by Die Marchen » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:52 pm

I also hope that Karen makes liners! Love pencils))

I use lip (and eye) liner pencils from other mmu brand. These are the ones I didn't convert from as SN doesn't offer it. By far I hope :-)
Those liners are not bad, but not the greatest: they are all described as neutral, but they tend more to warm tones and they better apply to moisturized lips.
Current ratio, Sept. 13: 1 Ebony : 1 Buttery Gold : 15 All Purpose : 5 Ivory : 2 Yellow : 1 Liberty : 1 Beach Bunny
The mix is pale and does't look yellow