Wearing reds with fair skin

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
pinkfox

Wearing reds with fair skin

Post by pinkfox » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:37 pm

Those of you who are very fair, how do you wear colors like Hot Blooded and Celebration and not look overdone? I'm struggling what to use on eyes/cheeks for an everyday look.
Lyn
Know yourself!
See Spot. See Spot Change.
See Doctor... or See Spot Kill.
educate yourself
http://www.mpip.org

Live every day as if it is your LAST chance to make someone happy!
piccola_donna

Re: Wearing reds with fair skin

Post by piccola_donna » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:24 am

First of all you need a shade that flatters you, not all reds are going to look good. On me cool reds look terrible and fake and stupid, and have the tendancy to turn fuchia, while warmer reds blend with my skin tone and look more subtle. I think a lot of people overlook how important it is to get something flattering.

If you only put a light layer on it can help, especially if you're feeling unsure. So just put some on with your finger or stick to the sheer-er formulations, like the lip glosses. I find Hot Blooded nice because as long as you dont put it on too heavy some of you natural lip colour still comes through and it doesn't looks so overdone. Also, tone doesn't matter so much with a sheer formulation, but anything with a heavy coverage need to match you skin tone much better.

Finally- the actual answer to you question! If i'm doing red lips i use Climax or Bronzed Beauty as my blush, and a colour like Teenie Bikini or Sandstone Shimmer as an eyeshadow (or whatever your subtle one-colour wash is). Actually i often have somewhat over the top eyes too, but... i quite like overdone. :oops: Though probably not for an everyday look.

Really as long as you keep it simple it will look nice. Most people put so little effort into how they look on a daily basis that anything you do that takes a little more effort is going to look great to them! I think red lips look so nice with pale skin.
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:33 am

Donna gave great advice! Red lips, neutrals and simple everywhere else. Also, I find layering helps. If I have a super red, sometimes I will tone it down with a bit of another color or a wand gloss.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
zeebs

Post by zeebs » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:35 pm

Eccchh, I cannot wear reds, so I have a lot to say about this.

For lips, if you can't wear true red, try orange-red. Also, bright, deep corals work on some women as a stand-in for red.

Avoid red on the cheeks - just do something natural-looking, no matter what.

For eyes, try burgundy instead of red (though I know Ghost is agitating for red shadow, so I'm sure that might work for some people). Legend is reddish without being red, kind of an orange-red.

Red is not for everyone, and definitely do a subtle eye with a red lip OR a nude lip with a red eye, and play down the blush.

Also: wash some Bling with red e/s, or layer champagne-colored gloss over your red lipstick to tone it down but still leave drama.

How I did orange-red today (believe me, if I could have done real red, I would have): Eyes - Legend, Gator Gold, and Hint (yeah, it was a little weird, I didn't have my entire palette, so that's what I had - it looked okay though, kind of edgy); Cheeks - Strawberries & Cream (but Flirt would have been better, with a wash of Perfecting Glow); Lips - Monarch (but anything nude or subtle would have worked), geez, I just realized how absolutely crazy that combination was, but it worked in that starving-artist making-do-with-limited-resources kind of way.
Ghost

Post by Ghost » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:22 pm

Yes I would love to see red eyeshadows, but whether or not I can wear them is a different story!!!!! I'm as pale as they can come (1:16 ratio)

But red is my fav colour. I can get away with some reds (burgundy or like zeebs said orange-reds), but I absolutely love red. When I ever I get my hair cut and dyed (which should be soon again) I always have multi-tones streaks with an edge - dark brown, light goldie copper and red. A deep yet noticeable/flattering red and this is on top of my goldie-ginger hair.

Zeebs you’re a genius. Of all the e/s I have I don't have legend, well that’s going on my list. Thanks for all the tips with the reds and I love your combo - how do you wear it?
Foundation: 1: baggie 6: ebony: 7 glow
Fav blush: Steller
Fav Lippie: Symphony
Fav combo: cream 1st half of lid, 09:59 2nd half, chocolate twinkle in the crease with Blackheart over it blended out and vanillia on brow bone.
pinkfox

Post by pinkfox » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:27 pm

Thanks for all the great advice. I ended up using Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge, Bone and Slate with Hot Blooded. I didn't really like the Climax blush so I used a layer of Beach Bunny over the top. Next time I might use just the Beach Bunny.
Lyn
Know yourself!
See Spot. See Spot Change.
See Doctor... or See Spot Kill.
educate yourself
http://www.mpip.org

Live every day as if it is your LAST chance to make someone happy!
zeebs

Post by zeebs » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:02 pm

Ghost wrote:Yes I would love to see red eyeshadows, but whether or not I can wear them is a different story!!!!! I'm as pale as they can come (1:16 ratio)

But red is my fav colour. I can get away with some reds (burgundy or like zeebs said orange-reds), but I absolutely love red. When I ever I get my hair cut and dyed (which should be soon again) I always have multi-tones streaks with an edge - dark brown, light goldie copper and red. A deep yet noticeable/flattering red and this is on top of my goldie-ginger hair.

Zeebs you’re a genius. Of all the e/s I have I don't have legend, well that’s going on my list. Thanks for all the tips with the reds and I love your combo - how do you wear it?
Ooh, yeah, Legend is SO GREAT FOR FALL! It is really, really coppery, and leans to the red side of copper. It still has lots of orange in it, though. It is almost what I would describe as rust-colored. I wore the Legend on the lid, Gator Gold on the upper half of the lid up into the crease, and Hint as the highlight on brow and a dot on the center of the lids. Added brown mascara, and would have used dark gold liner if it were available to me at the time (to match Gator Gold - or you could foil Gator Gold for liner).