About to mix...where do I start?!?!

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
hotmama

About to mix...where do I start?!?!

Post by hotmama » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:45 pm

Hi gals! I finally received my foundation sampler in the mail today. I would like some tips as to which color I should start with. I'm really unsure about undertones :o and all of that stuff...I just wat to have beautiful makeup :lol: ! Please help, and thanks in advance.
Also I'm pretty new to SN...so any other color combos you guys think would go great with my skintone I am all up for it!
Attachments
Taken with camera phone
Taken with camera phone
IMG00038.JPG (440.92 KiB) Viewed 4206 times
Mommy and Myles
Mommy and Myles
DSCN0568_0034.jpg (216.21 KiB) Viewed 4205 times
JenW

Re: About to mix...where do I start?!?!

Post by JenW » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:04 pm

My first impression from the pics is that you will be an Ebony Base. In the pics, I don't really see any warm or yellow tones, but it is hard to tell sometimes in pics depending on the lighting. You are fortunate, in that it will be easy to test all the undertones as you are between medium and tan (but probably closer to tan!). In Ebony Base you will be about a 1 or 2 White to one Ebony (1Ebony:1-2White). In the others, you will be around a 1 dark (Warm Gold or Buttery Gold) to 2 to 3 White (1WG or BG:2-4 White). Just make sure everything is thoroughly mixed leaving the sifter out, and test along your jawline. You are looking for a color that fades into your own skintone. And yes, you do look like Vanessa Williams!!!!!

Your 'little man' is adorable, BTW. ;)
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
hotmama

Post by hotmama » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:41 pm

Thanks Jen...I would never have started with ebony...see I told you I was clueless! So do I build in 1 jar? Or for each base I mix sep. until I figure out which one to go with? Or do I add wg/bg to ebony and keep mixing? This is all very new to me, sorry so many questions.
JenW

Post by JenW » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:10 pm

For ease of mixing, do one base color at a time. Since your ratio is probably on the low side (meaning in A:B, A+B=a low number), you can easily mix a small amount and dump it on a piece of wax paper or foil, and then mix the second shade, and then do the same for the third. This way you will be able to put the one you end up using back into the jar to test for a few days, and can wrap up the others in case you want to test them again (folding the sides up and over). You may find that you are between bases. I am generally Ebony with a touch of Warm, but I still keep two seperate jars of foundation. Some like to mix it all together, though. It is kind of a fun adventure to figure out what you think looks best.
Faves-
hotmama

Post by hotmama » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:01 am

Ok...its official...I'm Mixing Challenged! I was soo excited to get home and mix my perfect color. After an hour I gave up defeated. I started with 1 ebony and 1 base from there it was all downhill. I added a WG and another base...still too dark. So I kept on adding and shaking and adding more. I just can't get this right. If Mikie wears 1:1 surely I could too...its not working for me. Maybe my kit was broken?!?!?!
Rhys

Post by Rhys » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:07 pm

Nah it just means you're lighter than Mikie. Start with 4 white to 1 ebony and see how that goes.

Did you notice if the tone to ebony at least matched or are you more warm? You look in the pic like ebony would be the best bet, but pictures can be tricky (see mine - lighting does wonders sometimes - I'm 1 ebony to 16 white!)
~*mikie*~

Post by ~*mikie*~ » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:31 pm

Did you page me? LOL! HotMama, my mix varies. Latest batch for me was 3 white, 1 ebony, 1 warm gold, so that's a touch lighter than 1:1. Your mixes aren't failures at all. You'll be shocked to discover how you intuitively know how to adjust ! in no time flat! Ebony with ivory will be lighter 1:1 than warm gold to ivory 1:1, I believe. I can wear 1:1 ebony/ivory or 2 ivory:1 warm gold *or* throw both mixes in together which is what I'm currently wearing. Glad to see someone else with a medium skintone!
bjSIHwE7TeDA+VQz7MWuHdtDfR2ss8H40060.jpg
bjSIHwE7TeDA+VQz7MWuHdtDfR2ss8H40060.jpg (9.34 KiB) Viewed 4112 times
mikie
Live! Love! Laugh! They'll wonder what we're up to!
~*mikie*~

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
(click daily ~ it's free! Click animal rescue there,too!)
we can make THE difference! :-)
hotmama

Post by hotmama » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:50 am

BYGOLLIE GEORGE, I THINK SHE'S GOT IT!!!!! Ok, so I tackled this whole foundation thingy again...I was not about to let 4 little bags of powder and a very tiny scoop get the best of me! And after careful, careful deliberation and mixing and applying I think I may have found a winner....I settled on 1 Ebony and 3 Ivory and...well... it looks like me...YIPEEEEEE!!!!!! Now I have no idea how Karen does this on a daily basis...but you can have it....I dont want to mix another item...ever....unless it involves, say rum... and, hmm...a bottle of coke! Now that I can handle! I just better stay this color from now on...but in all honesty and playfulness aside, this is the most natural looking best matched foundation I've ever worn. Perhaps I just never realized I was a neutral base...instead of all the other colors I've chosen over the past 15 years...putting all 3 base colors in the packet to try out is just genius! Thanks ya'll!
JenW

Post by JenW » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:38 am

Yayyy hotmamma!

Now that you have found your base, it will be easy to lighten or darken as needed by adding White or Ebony. To mix foundation for use since your ratio numbers are small, just upsize your spoon (yes, a 1/4 tsp from the kitchen works!). Also, the full size foundation kit comes with a larger jar for storage. Some find it easier to mix in a small zip baggie and smoosh it around to mix rather than shake a jar. It will only become easier with practice. The hard part is over!!! :D
Faves-