Nail Polish

Come in and hang-out with the girls! All off topic posts go here.
zeebs

Nail Polish

Post by zeebs » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:27 am

Nail Polish. Discuss.

I use quite a few, both conventional and water-based.

Good water-based products:
Suncoat (peels off really well)
Honeybee Gardens (stays on well but takes some effort to get it off to change it; I think they also make a peel-off version though)

I will be trying Earthly Delights next.

Just bought two OPI colors today on the conventional side - one is a champagne color and the other is from their new Diamond collection! It is an orangey-peach color and the diamond dust is a huge step up from regular glitter nail polish. Highly recommended.

Anybody else into nail polish?
~*mikie*~

Re: Nail Polish

Post by ~*mikie*~ » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:16 am

Is the orangey-peach called Peach-a-Boo? I have it on now! :-) On my toes, I have Opi's Melon of Troy topped with ICE's Spitfire. I've never used a "natural" or "water-based" polish in my long life...& I've been doing my nails at least weekly for 40+ years, yikes!

mikie
Live! Love! Laugh! They'll wonder what we're up to!
~*mikie*~

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
(click daily ~ it's free! Click animal rescue there,too!)
we can make THE difference! :-)
JenW

Post by JenW » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:00 pm

I go in such phases with nailpolish. I am usually a die hard OPI fan and have been for years. I have friends that own a salon, so I can get OPI, Essie, and Zoya at cost, as well as nailcare in the Qtica line. I am a little spoiled. Lately I have tried the 'Nic'c Sticks' by Nicole that are like a polish pen. They are nice and my DD loves them. I am not loving the quality of the polish, but the application is fun. I have a few of the OPI ones with the diamond dust. They are great for summer. I have never seen such sparkley polish.

My latest discovery (from when I was in Trumansburg, actually) is the Express Finish polish from Maybelline. (I had forgotten my polish and picked one up at the drugstore in 'Satin Slip'.) The color range is not that wide, but it does dry fast and lasts quite a while. Also, the price is great at around $3 a bottle. I actually have the Maybelline on my nails right now, and OPI "Lunch at the Delhi" on my toes.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
tizzylou

Post by tizzylou » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:51 pm

Mikie, You and I must have very similar taste, I have OPI"s Melon of Troy on my toenails at present also. My fingernails are just budffed to a nice shine, since I usually chip my polish in nothing flat getting meds in and out of the med cart. :( . However when I do polish them I use mostly OPI with some Creative Color thrown in . I also use No Chip, which helps, but I think that med carts were purposely designed to be a hand and nail enemy.

I'Ve never used a water based polosh either, and have done my nails for the better part of 30+ years, in addition I used acrylics for a while, so I'm sure that I didn't help mine, but they are nice and strong and healthy at present.

Hollis
zeebs

Post by zeebs » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:06 am

Yes! It is peach-a-boo. I think it looks like a cantaloupe crossed with an engagement ring.... :) But it's a terrific summer color.

Regarding water-based polishes - the texture is a little different and requires a lighter touch, best to apply it in several thin layers for the best results. It dries faster than conventional polish and has NO odor - you could probably apply it on an airplane and not offend your seatmate with the odor. The peel-off polishes are the best ones, otherwise they're really hard to get off. There are lots of great colors in water-based. I like Suncoat the best for texture and ease of removal, but Honeybee Gardens is better for durability.

I was wondering about the Nicole brush stick things so thanks for the review - :)