Birdie: Make-up wearing Service Dog

Come in and hang-out with the girls! All off topic posts go here.
Hoyden

Birdie: Make-up wearing Service Dog

Post by Hoyden » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:49 pm

I've had a few questions about my Service Dog, Birdie, so I figured I would just start a thread instead of hijacking someone else's thread.

Birdie is a 5.5 year old American Pit Bull Terrier that was rescued from the Oyster Bay, NY animal shelter by a NY Certified dog trainer because she was the next dog that was scheduled to be euthanized. Jesse & his girlfriend Nicki rescued her in February 2005, I adopted her from them in June 2005.

In addition the being my service dog, she is also a therapy dog. We do visits to the VA Hospital, nursing homes, do reading therapy with kids & teach canine safety to kids. Birdie really enjoys working & interacting with people.

Birdie wears nail polish, cosmetic glitter & acrylic paint. She doesn't care what we put on her, as long as there is food involved, preferably cheese. (BTW - loose eye shadow & blushes make beautiful polishes when you mix them into a good quality clear nail polish like OPI. It stays on Birdie's nails for at least 4 - 6 weeks, even when she is running through the woods & digging to China in the back yard.)

Somehow, this dog always manages to get freebies when we go places. Today when I went into Sephora to buy more Two Faced Shadow Insurance, they gave Birdie three free small nail polishes. They did the same thing last time I went in there.

Sitting in my garden

Diva doggie in her leopard print dog coat, faux fur & wearing Mikimoto pearls.

Painted up at the Renaissance Faire.
With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate, and the wisdom to be humble.
Courage is the foundation of integrity. ~ Keshavan Nair
zooeyblue

Re: Birdie: Make-up wearing Service Dog

Post by zooeyblue » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:12 pm

She is precious! :D
~Tracy~
superwahz

Post by superwahz » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:29 pm

Oh my Hoyden, Birdie is such a beautiful dog!! I'm so glad she was rescued! It makes me so happy every time I see a service dog or therapy dog that was rescued and given a whole new start in life. My sister has a bull terrier/lab mix who looks similar to Birdie. People are always so scared of him when really, he's such a friendly, laid back dog! I bet he'd let us paint his nails...

My dog Kanani hates nail polish. When we adopted her from the shelter one of the volunteers had painted all the puppies nails, they were so cute! She was outraged though and kept digging at everything in sight 'til it wore off. I think the feeling of polish on her nails coupled with the scent was just too much for her. 9 years later and she still hides when I paint my nails! She loves lipstick though, collects them and hides them under the bed (where she sleeps)...along with the other dog's toys. :lol:
Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic. ~Rosalind Russell
Hoyden

Post by Hoyden » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:35 pm

superwahz wrote:
My dog Kanani hates nail polish. When we adopted her from the shelter one of the volunteers had painted all the puppies nails, they were so cute! She was outraged though and kept digging at everything in sight 'til it wore off. I think the feeling of polish on her nails coupled with the scent was just too much for her. 9 years later and she still hides when I paint my nails! She loves lipstick though, collects them and hides them under the bed (where she sleeps)...along with the other dog's toys. :lol:
That's what Birdie did with a few of my lip balms. She hid them in her bed. She didn't eat them, they only had slight tooth dents in them.
With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate, and the wisdom to be humble.
Xarata

Post by Xarata » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:51 pm

honey likes to lick the lipbalms/glosses off my lips and will steal (and eat) lippies when possible. She stole a pomegranate burt's bees balm on xmas (DH likes that flavor- it was his, luckily he got some in his stocking- ha!). I rescued the tube and now it's "her" lip balm. We'll apply it to the front of her mouth and she licks licks licks it off! :)

I don't think she would let me paint her nails. well she might, but she wouldn't be happy about it. lol
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com
zeebs

Post by zeebs » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:14 pm

YOUR DOG IS SO CUTE!!! And what a good sport she is to put up with all the makeup and clothing! I just love it.
Hoyden

Post by Hoyden » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:40 pm

Xarata wrote:honey likes to lick the lipbalms/glosses off my lips and will steal (and eat) lippies when possible. She stole a pomegranate burt's bees balm on xmas (DH likes that flavor- it was his, luckily he got some in his stocking- ha!). I rescued the tube and now it's "her" lip balm. We'll apply it to the front of her mouth and she licks licks licks it off! :)

I don't think she would let me paint her nails. well she might, but she wouldn't be happy about it. lol
If you live somewhere cold & icy, the lip balms are good for the bottom of their feet if they get cracked, dry or damaged from salt. But you'd have to put booties on her to keep her from licking it off.

Birdie tries to lick my lippies off unless they are mint, she doesn't like the mint ones. I love mint, so I ordered the black label mint one :lol:
Hoyden

Post by Hoyden » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:42 pm

zeebs wrote:YOUR DOG IS SO CUTE!!! And what a good sport she is to put up with all the makeup and clothing! I just love it.
She really doesn't mind as long as there is food, preferably cheese involved. I make most of her dog gear so she has a stupid number of coats, outfits, collars & other silly stuff.
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:49 pm

Birdie is such a cutie! Bitsy won't do nail polish or clothes, but Suzie loves to put on a pretty outfit and strut her stuff. Oh yes, they love lip balms. Bitsy sits pretty and begs every time I bring out a tube. Organic coconut is her favorite. Straight olive oil is nice for their paws too.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
lilychemgirl

Post by lilychemgirl » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:50 am

Aw, she is so cute :)
The nail polish looks really cool too, lol. I wish I could grow talons like that :lol:
I live in kind of a rough neighbourhood (it is the only place dh and I could afford to buy a large, flat, fenced section with enough room for our chickens, fruit trees, large vege garden etc.) and I am a bit prejudiced against fighting breeds of dog because lots of people here let their dogs roam the streets. 2 dogs ripped their way into our chicken coop and killed all of our chooks one time :cry: but it is the owners I get mad at, the dogs are just doing what dogs do. I am sure Birdie would never do anything like that (it might ruin her nail polish ;) )
Thanks for sharing her with us :)
Mineral makeup addict, Mama to three amazing girls, loving wife to Tom ♥