Anyone read Dead In the Family?

Come in and hang-out with the girls! All off topic posts go here.
JenK

Anyone read Dead In the Family?

Post by JenK » Mon May 31, 2010 3:44 pm

I have been a fan of this series from the start. I am the first to point out flaws in the writing and plots, but I still really enjoyed this series and looked forward to the next book, even reread them. The last few books weren't the best, but still enjoyable.

Dead in the Family seemed off in just about every way. It read like they accidentally published the FIRST draft. I love the fact Eric and Sookie are together (though he could do so much better...moi...LOL!!), but the lines between them didn't even sound like the same characters. Thank god Pam was in this book to save it.

I guess there comes a point when enough is enough and I fear this is it for this series. I just don't understand how this even got published. WHERE WERE THE EDITORS!! Thankfully, I only paid 9.99.
sewwies

Re: Anyone read Dead In the Family?

Post by sewwies » Mon May 31, 2010 6:14 pm

Ooo are these the True Blood books? I've not read any but I LOVE the TV series. Eric :D Are they worth reading? I usually find the books much better than any adaptations, but often seem to stumble upon the TV/film version first and lose all of that suspense hehe
~~Sarah~~
Ghost

Post by Ghost » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:18 pm

Oh, oh, oh it's next on my list to read (sitting on the shelf as we speak)

I've been a fan of the series since the beginning. I still order my books from USA because the cover design is still the same however in UK they've changes twice. (I love my book they all have to match covers)

Yeah I am a huge fan of the series but I have to agree the last couple have been a bit 'blah', but I still buy and read (eat) them all the same.

Yes Sarah read those book and ladies (this means you as well Jenk) hands off eric, even TV eric, he's mine friendly warning :D teehee. Three things I don't share - Chocolate, make up (unless I feel like it) and imaginary boyfriends from books. I know where you guys sleep...........dun, dun, dunnnnnnnnnnnnnn :D

******Spoiler alert**********
When sookie was with bill I wanted her to be with eric (I'm forgetting quinn) and now she's with eric............... I kind of like to see if sookie would ever get back with bill. Strange since I'm a eric fan (especially since the TV series eric WOW) not bill. But I just have this need to see her and eric's relationship get complication for some reason and she starts looking at bill again. course this could be due to the fact I like eric - teehee :D
Foundation: 1: baggie 6: ebony: 7 glow
Fav blush: Steller
Fav Lippie: Symphony
Fav combo: cream 1st half of lid, 09:59 2nd half, chocolate twinkle in the crease with Blackheart over it blended out and vanillia on brow bone.
JenK

Post by JenK » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:05 pm

Ghost wrote:Yes Sarah read those book and ladies (this means you as well Jenk) hands off eric, even TV eric, he's mine friendly warning teehee.
You can have Eric as long as I can have Adam from Patricia Briggs "Mercy Thompson" series and Curran from Ilona Andrews "Kate Daniels" series. I can so go on w/ my many "Book" Boyfriends!!! My husband just looks at me and shakes his head.

I really was only a Bill fan in book one and then went on to Eric, although I liked Alcide. Quinn started out ok, then she (C. Harris) made him into a jerky Pig. Sam (in the books) is awesome!! Eric had my heart from the first book (think it's the first book) when he flies up and looks in the hospital window at Sookie. Rememeber in book 2 (think it was 2) when Eric takes Sookie to the "swinger" party and plays her boyfriend? I think that is when I feel in love...LOL!!! He was at his best!!! Had me laughing so hard!!

The first 9 books sucked you in, I've reread them countless times. It has to be hard to continue this long w/ a series, plus C. Harris has the TV series people wanting the books to be like the TV series. I like the TV series, but I really think the books are better. The second season got so off from the books and the plots kind of stunk. Eric, Lafayette and Pam make the show. Sookie gets more and more annoying in both the books and tv series.

Don't forget JP, her sometime date in the early books!!! LOL!!!!!!

When you read the book, please post your thoughts. I don't want to spoil anything for you!!!
JenK

Post by JenK » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:07 pm

sewwies wrote:Ooo are these the True Blood books? I've not read any but I LOVE the TV series. Eric :D Are they worth reading? I usually find the books much better than any adaptations, but often seem to stumble upon the TV/film version first and lose all of that suspense hehe
You MUST read the books. I think they are way better than the Tv series, but then I read the books first. Eric is even HOTTER in the books!!!! Plus, he makes you laugh and laugh. Pam is also so much better in the books, as is Sam. READ THE BOOKS!!! There isn't much Jason in the books, so if you are a Jason fan from the Tv series you maybe bummed.
Silverfern

Post by Silverfern » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:25 pm

Probably spoilers ahead.

I read the first book and then couldn't make it through the second. It didn't have the pull the first one had....or an editor apparently. But then again, I watched the tv show first and I love Tara and Lafayette and they were no where to be found :(

I did really like learning more about Bill and Eric though. And Sookie, of course. Her character is so much more interesting in the book.

Maybe I'll force myself to get through the second one this summer. And wait, there are 9!? I didn't realize that.
Ghost

Post by Ghost » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:12 pm

JenK wrote:
Ghost wrote:Yes Sarah read those book and ladies (this means you as well Jenk) hands off eric, even TV eric, he's mine friendly warning teehee.
You can have Eric as long as I can have Adam from Patricia Briggs "Mercy Thompson" series and Curran from Ilona Andrews "Kate Daniels" series. I can so go on w/ my many "Book" Boyfriends!!! My husband just looks at me and shakes his head.
Okay a year ago I would have argued (told you point blank lol) with you over adam, in fact I can still bring up a convincing argument (teehee). But I'll let you have Adam if I can have the lovely, handsome, strong, silent Charles Cormack (yum). In fact I'm sure I love the alpha and omgea series more then mercy's :D Can't believe I have to wait until next year for the next book :(

But you'll have to sign a contract stating that you will chariest dear adam and forgive him for anything stupid things he does (unless it's really stupid) for a long as you both will read :D

So I'm having eric & chales and you get adam...............................what's you position on the kelley armstrong 'women of the otherworld' series. Are Clay or Jermey????? If you haven't read give them a try, if you like mercy series you'll like Kelley's

Nearly finished the book I'm on at the mo and expect to start DITF at the weekend

OH yeah the swinger party LOL. I can't believe they didn't do that for the second series. Yeah I was never a fan of quinn and didn't really care for alcide
Foundation: 1: baggie 6: ebony: 7 glow
Fav blush: Steller
Fav Lippie: Symphony
Fav combo: cream 1st half of lid, 09:59 2nd half, chocolate twinkle in the crease with Blackheart over it blended out and vanillia on brow bone.
JenK

Post by JenK » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:21 pm

Ok, you can have Charles as long as I get his DAD, Bran!!! LOL!!!!
ChristineLynnP

Post by ChristineLynnP » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:15 pm

You know, I just finished this book, and I didn't think it was bad, truthfully. Sookie has gotten MUCH less annoying as time goes on, and while I agree Eric wasn't himself, well, there was a reason for it. I guess I'm in the minority here. I've read nothing but bad reviews on this book, but I didn't agree with them at all in the end.

When I can afford to buy new books, I'll try the Patrica Briggs series that was mentioned. Do you guys think they're better than the Southern Vampire Mysteries?
Check us out on etsy: www.titanweave.etsy.com
JenK

Post by JenK » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:52 am

ChristineLynnP wrote:You know, I just finished this book, and I didn't think it was bad, truthfully. Sookie has gotten MUCH less annoying as time goes on, and while I agree Eric wasn't himself, well, there was a reason for it. I guess I'm in the minority here. I've read nothing but bad reviews on this book, but I didn't agree with them at all in the end.

When I can afford to buy new books, I'll try the Patrica Briggs series that was mentioned. Do you guys think they're better than the Southern Vampire Mysteries?
Glad you liked the book, sometimes I think I expect too much. I find Sookie one of the weakest characters, which is funny seeing she is the main one. One thing I really liked about this book is the mature, normal realationship Eric and Sookie have. God, I sound funny, like I know these people!

I LOVE Patricia Briggs. She really knows how to write a story. I prefer the Mercy Thompson series to the Alpha Omega series (related series and characters which I love). Mercy came first, so you may want to start w/ that, though it doesn't make a difference. I relate more to Mercy than Sookie, plus I think the story line and writing is better, so I prefer these series. Mercy graduated from college, couldn't do anything w/ her degree and ended becoming a mechanic (I LOVE THAT!!! Instead of oil under my nails, I always have soil. Plus, I know what it is like to have dress jeans and t-shirts). There isn't much sex in the books, they don't need it. Another cool thing is there are comics and graphic novels to go along w/ the books (yes, I am a nerd).
Another great series you should check out if you haven't is the Rachel Morgan series by Kim Harrison. I spend way too much money I don't have on books. I love to reread them so I always purchase.

How is you skin doing, I remember you posting on GOW? Hope all is well!