Summer reading??

Come in and hang-out with the girls! All off topic posts go here.
Die Marchen

Re: Summer reading??

Post by Die Marchen » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:00 am

And I wanted to add that I love paper books, and my family has a very big library, the oldest books are being kept since 18th century. And we all keep buing books, but honestly not all of them are worth being kept... Or simply they are heavy to carry or take too much space. This time I think reader is the best choice.

And some magazines or some technical literature or some books I have to read for work won't be important or useful as the time pass. So it's a pity that so much paper is to be spend for it. This time I use onle eversions. So I like thinking that using my iPad is environmentally friendly))

BTW, I have a mate who loves books and he had some shelves even it the toilet, cause he had no more space in his apartment. When he married he moved to a bigger apartment and the toilet there is yet empty))) But for the sake of it he has to move in about a year or two)))
Current ratio, Sept. 13: 1 Ebony : 1 Buttery Gold : 15 All Purpose : 5 Ivory : 2 Yellow : 1 Liberty : 1 Beach Bunny
The mix is pale and does't look yellow
ChristineLynnP

Post by ChristineLynnP » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:02 am

Die Marchen wrote:Ladies, have you tried iPad?
I feel it the most comfortable gadget I ever owned. You can't do programming&desigh on it, but I do not do it on my notebook either. As for other functions it goes great and it is a great reader too. You can turn pages with your fingers, it remembers where you stopped, and a very important thing for me: when I an unknown word I simply touch it and I get a dictionary article about it!
You can keep your books in it and it looks like book shelves)))
Eric has an Android Archos that he calls his "ereader"... same basic thing as an Ipad, but 99% of the apps are free. Android phones and the tablet as Apple's biggest competitor right now (and the Android Tablet was out before the IPad, just most people never knew about the concept until the IPad), and it's our tech of choice. I'm actually really jealous and wanting my own Archos, because Eric gets all of his books for free somehow on an app there, including the Steigg Larrsson series and the Sookie Stackhouse novels, the Eragon series, The Wheel of Time... I'm so jealous :lol:

My Sony Reader has that dictionary function too. When I was using it all the time, I got so used to touching a word to find out what it means, that I actually tried to touch words on my computer monitor before too. Lol, I felt so silly the first time I did that, but then we all got a good laugh about it. I'll probably do it again when I start buying more ebooks. :D
Check us out on etsy: www.titanweave.etsy.com
Silverfern

Post by Silverfern » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:39 am

ChristineLynnP wrote:
Die Marchen wrote:Ladies, have you tried iPad?
I feel it the most comfortable gadget I ever owned. You can't do programming&desigh on it, but I do not do it on my notebook either. As for other functions it goes great and it is a great reader too. You can turn pages with your fingers, it remembers where you stopped, and a very important thing for me: when I an unknown word I simply touch it and I get a dictionary article about it!
You can keep your books in it and it looks like book shelves)))
Eric has an Android Archos that he calls his "ereader"... same basic thing as an Ipad, but 99% of the apps are free. Android phones and the tablet as Apple's biggest competitor right now (and the Android Tablet was out before the IPad, just most people never knew about the concept until the IPad), and it's our tech of choice. I'm actually really jealous and wanting my own Archos, because Eric gets all of his books for free somehow on an app there, including the Steigg Larrsson series and the Sookie Stackhouse novels, the Eragon series, The Wheel of Time... I'm so jealous :lol:

My Sony Reader has that dictionary function too. When I was using it all the time, I got so used to touching a word to find out what it means, that I actually tried to touch words on my computer monitor before too. Lol, I felt so silly the first time I did that, but then we all got a good laugh about it. I'll probably do it again when I start buying more ebooks. :D
O I'm so jealous! My husband has an ipad that hasn't left his hands since last week. And I just got the iphone 4, which hasn't left my hands since last week. But I have a soft spot in my heart for android devices (I love Linux). I'm so glad to know someone really likes their android tablet My friend might get one....maybe I will too ;) I love new tech.
ChristineLynnP

Post by ChristineLynnP » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:23 am

Silver- so funny that this came up this morning, because I recently checked my e-mail, and my cashback bonus offer from Citibank for the month of August includes $90.00 off the Archos 5 :o I just might wind up with my own soon :lol: I wasn't sure if I wanted that or to wait for the new Android-based Sony Reader, but who knows how far off that might be. Technically it hasn't even been disclosed that they're making one, everyone only knows because of job posting ads they've put out looking for a team to develop it. And I *do* get jealous seeing Eric tote his around everywhere and get all those nifty free new books for it.
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:42 am

I really want Eric's reader app!!! DH has an Archos 7, and I was hoping that it would sort of become my gadget binkie- one device that holds all of my files so I could surf the web, play my mp3's, view my pics, read books etc...but it didn't really turn out that way for us. I think if I put my mp3's on it, I'd probably like it better, but I found myself really wishing it had an accelerometer so I could switch from landscape to portrait viewing- like my phone. I mainly stick to reading on the Kindle because I like the way it feels in my hand better than the Archos.

I'm lusting over a tablet too. I'm holding out for the Notion Ink Adam Android tablet which will hopefully release in November. If it's as good as they say it is, it's going to be an amazing device. I have an Android phone, and absolutely LOVE it- the interface, the number of apps available, the idea that it ties in with all of my Google stuff. I can't wait for all of the new Android tablets that are supposed to hit the market around Christmas.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
ChristineLynnP

Post by ChristineLynnP » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:45 am

OOhhh, I'm not nearly so tech-savvy, but now I'm going to look into what you just mentioned and most likely wait until that's released. I never thought I'd make as good a use of our best buy credit cards as I have, but tech really does make life so much easier.*off to research*
tizzylou

Post by tizzylou » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:31 pm

I'm like Karen's mom, DH bought me a Sony reader for my B-day( which is tomorrow) but gave it to me a month early. I didn't think I wanted a reader of any type, since I love the feel of books in my hand, but I LOVE it. I have read My Name is Mary Sutter; The Heretic's Wife, and am currently reading The Help. It went on vacation with us, and was much easier to tote around than a book.
Hollis
Die Marchen

Post by Die Marchen » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:31 pm

Uuups, I may say an unpleasant thing, but I do not consider free apps as a good idea...
I'll try to explain why. And take Google as an example. For the first glance everything looks good - google produces free stuff that people can use an save their money. But we all understand that there's nothing free it the world, everything costs money. To create any product the developer has to spend both human and natural resources. Programmers must get their salaries, electric bills must be paid and etc. Google gets money from the advertising. So when you use google stuff you pay with your attention to it's ads. But it is almost nothing. The very bad thing is that google actually destroys market of this stuff. Developers can't compete with such a damping. And without competition there is no market, without market there is monopoly(((
I'm an independent developer so there's some personal affection here, but only some. I strongly believe that honest competition is the only way to better tech, software and apps. And that the developers are worth being paid for their work, only advertising doesn't do the best justice that the users do. I have both paid and free apps, free app is my way of advertising and my kind of "free shadows", but giving only free shadows will destroy my business and I won't produce another high quality apps though I could.
I'm not telling - stop downloading free stuff, just ask you to be a bit more careful. Don't forget ancient Troya)))
Current ratio, Sept. 13: 1 Ebony : 1 Buttery Gold : 15 All Purpose : 5 Ivory : 2 Yellow : 1 Liberty : 1 Beach Bunny
The mix is pale and does't look yellow