Book suggestions??!!

Come in and hang-out with the girls! All off topic posts go here.
zooeyblue

Book suggestions??!!

Post by zooeyblue » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:00 pm

For one of the classes I teach, students must choose a book and complete a series of writing assignments and an oral presentation based on the book. I give them few guidelines for choosing in hopes they will find something they truly enjoy. One lady has asked for suggestions, and I need help! She is a 40-something mom with teenagers and husband, working full time and taking my class during her lunch hour. She would like to find an inspirational nonfiction book about a woman who juggles family, career, and school, someone who succeeds.

My basic guidelines for choosing: at least 125 pages long, no movie has been based on the book, adult reading level. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated! :D
~Tracy~
karen
Site Admin

Re: Book suggestions??!!

Post by karen » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:34 pm

I absolutely loved "My Life in France" by Julia Child. Escapist, a great love story, utterly charming, and written by an amazing woman. She didn't "have it all" but she really made the best out of what she was handed. She didn't really start cooking until she was in her late 30's, so it has a really great "it's not too late" vibe too.

Oh, and she worked for the precursor to the CIA and invented shark repellent. http://www.cracked.com/article_18905_11 ... es_p2.html She's my hero.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
egerandi

Post by egerandi » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:45 pm

karen wrote:I absolutely loved "My Life in France" by Julia Child. Escapist, a great love story, utterly charming, and written by an amazing woman. She didn't "have it all" but she really made the best out of what she was handed. She didn't really start cooking until she was in her late 30's, so it has a really great "it's not too late" vibe too.

Oh, and she worked for the precursor to the CIA and invented shark repellent. http://www.cracked.com/article_18905_11 ... es_p2.html She's my hero.
Great suggestion, I have to put this on my list too! Not for class, just reading pleasure (breaking in my new Nook :) ).
zooeyblue

Post by zooeyblue » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:04 pm

Thanks, Karen! I want to read that one myself now. :D
~Tracy~
lov2read68

Post by lov2read68 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:25 pm

Possibly would fit in with your guidelines - I recently read The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin.
zooeyblue

Post by zooeyblue » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:18 pm

lov2read68 wrote:Possibly would fit in with your guidelines - I recently read The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin.
That looks like a good one, too. Thanks! :D
~Tracy~