Guilt-free treats

Come in and hang-out with the girls! All off topic posts go here.
karen
Site Admin

Re: Guilt-free treats

Post by karen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:20 am

I riffed off of this recipe from David Lebovitz but I use frozen berries because it snowed again on Tuesday, and I don't tend to measure very often when I'm at home. I just whiz everything in the blender and churn it. It's paler than his version, but tasty.

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2006/04/may-day-market/

Blueberries are good too. I also did a version that was more like a basic vanilla ice cream but cut with a lot of bananas that were about to turn, and some cinnamon. That one was probably my favorite.

His vanilla frozen yogurt is scrumptious too. It's very tangy, and refreshing.
http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/a- ... ecipe.html

@Egerandi- Do you get the cacao nibs or the powder? The truffles sound amazing. Your kitchen adventures are really interesting. The sweetened MimicCreme that you mentioned here is really good! I love that I can keep it in the pantry.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
egerandi

Post by egerandi » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:25 pm

I needed to cut cholesterol (family heritage along with high blood pressure) and watch my thyroid (ditto, family), and high raw fit the bill. I've only been sick once, and it was gone in a few days, while my live-in BF was sick 3-4 times (or 5, lost count) during the same time. My skin is good and my hair is getting less grays. It's a bit of a hurdle to adjust the lifestyle especially if the partner is not into it, but he switched to pescaterian a while ago, and that means at least I don't have cook slabs of meats for him :)

I grew up without much meats and packaged foods or dining out, so for me (even with the 10+ influence of living in the US) wasn't that difficult to switch. I don't preach to people, but happy to share if they inquire: I understand how difficult it could be to give something up that belongs to your life. Oh garlicky sausages and fluffy/crusty artisan white bread, how I miss you.... :D

I heard of Hungry Girl before, I believe that's how I learned about the shiratake noodles with 0-20 cal /serving. Substituting is the best way to start, and trust me when I say your taste buds (and body) *will* change to crave the good stuff after a while :)

Thanks for the info on the deodorant, I'll check it out!
zeebs

Post by zeebs » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:43 pm

I shopped raw fruitarian today at the grocery store... then I ate cheese when I got home.
18Angel

Post by 18Angel » Mon May 02, 2011 10:51 pm

Thanks for the tip on the deoderant! Both DH and I have been using it for a week or so and it is hands down the best "natural" deoderant we have tried.
SouthernGal

Post by SouthernGal » Tue May 03, 2011 8:42 am

I like to make dairy free/sweetener free smoothies. I just use partially thawed frozen fruit (strawberries are a favorite around here) and a bit of unsweetened applesauce or a banana.
egerandi

Post by egerandi » Tue May 03, 2011 4:25 pm

You mean the coconut snow? It's great, it's still working fine :) I'm expecting a bit of extra sweating now that the heat has been turned up in Cali, but I should be fine.
18Angel wrote:Thanks for the tip on the deoderant! Both DH and I have been using it for a week or so and it is hands down the best "natural" deoderant we have tried.
egerandi

Post by egerandi » Tue May 03, 2011 4:28 pm

Mmmmm, breakfast :) Try putting a handful of fresh spinach or romaine lettuce in there: you won't even notice the change (boyfriend didn't, hehehe), but you'll get the extra benefit from the greens.
SouthernGal wrote:I like to make dairy free/sweetener free smoothies. I just use partially thawed frozen fruit (strawberries are a favorite around here) and a bit of unsweetened applesauce or a banana.