Guilt-free treats

Come in and hang-out with the girls! All off topic posts go here.
egerandi

Guilt-free treats

Post by egerandi » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:53 am

I accidentally discovered this site (don't even remember any more what I was looking for), and bought four of their flavor extracts and just went back to buy three more. They are a bit of an investment as they are $22/1oz, but trust them when they say a little goes a long way. I've been putting 5 drops of the black currant extract into a quart of soda water, and it's plenty flavorful. Planning to use the hazelnut, the coffee and dark chocolate to enhance my raw desserts without adding calories and too much stimulants (mmm, dark chocolate), and just bought lemon, pomegranate and mint for more water flavors. They are potent and yummy!

I've also been using the coconut snow deodorant, and it works. It helped me get of the clinical strength commercial stuff, and although I do get a bit sweaty sometimes, it weathered through a week of Vegas just fine. I hope it keeps working, I really want to kick the aluminum habit :)

Oh yeah, the site: http://www.medicineflower.com/flavorextracts.html

Edited to add: it's $22 for 1/2oz, my bad!
Last edited by egerandi on Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meadowbird

Re: Guilt-free treats

Post by meadowbird » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:01 am

Thanks for the link. :)

Out of curiosity, what kinds of raw desserts do you make? I used to be a 100% raw foodist until my hair started falling out and decided to switch back to high protein whilst including as many raw vegies and greens as possible.

Also thanks for the hint about the deodorant! I use a clinical strength one and while it doesn't have aluminum in it, the primary ingredient is silicone and definitely clogs/leaves residue. Not sure which is the lesser evil!
Blush : Lovelace ~ Flare ~ Stardust ~ Foxxy
Eyes: Scandal ~ Neuron ~ Sprite ~ Zest
Lips: Zinnia ~ Ambrosia ~ Pretty Please ~ Mango
JenW

Post by JenW » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:26 am

Tea, of course! Serious places of note for the indulgent flavors...David's Tea in Canada, 52teas online, and if you like vanilla, Harney & Son's Vanilla Comoro (it is even decaf.)

And if you don't mind sweeteners....frozen fruit smoothies made with frozen fruit and a Crystal Light liquid base. The Wild Strawberry works very well, and even my kids love them.

I have made banana sundaes. Slice up a banana, add a little chocolate syrup and whipped cream. Caramel syrup works well here, too and it does not take much syrup. I have also made choclate banana smoothies with frozen banana, skim milk, and chocolate syrup. And my kids like those, too.

And last but not least...a new lippie always helps. ;)
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
egerandi

Post by egerandi » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:27 pm

I'm high raw, and don't aspire to be 100% raw (perhaps only occasionally for a good ol' cleanse). I have been for over a year now, mostly vegan too, and feel great! I do include a lot of plant based protein into my diet and the necessary supplements, and I haven't experienced any negative side effects (my hair is doing great, especially with Karen's conditioner). I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out for you :(

I've experimented with 'ice creams' made out of nut milks and frozen bananas, and they were more or less successful, so I should prolly revisit with my new goodies. What I've been doing lately is chocolate 'truffles': mix up different ground up nuts with raw cacao and spirulina and other superfood powders like maca and mesquite with some dates and coconut nectar as sweetener, then roll them in ground up goji berries and coconut flakes. I make like 50 in one batch and they keep nicely in the fridge.

What do you use for deodorant? I don't mind silicones, so it would be cool to have it as a backup.
meadowbird wrote:Thanks for the link. :)

Out of curiosity, what kinds of raw desserts do you make? I used to be a 100% raw foodist until my hair started falling out and decided to switch back to high protein whilst including as many raw vegies and greens as possible.

Also thanks for the hint about the deodorant! I use a clinical strength one and while it doesn't have aluminum in it, the primary ingredient is silicone and definitely clogs/leaves residue. Not sure which is the lesser evil!
zeebs

Post by zeebs » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:54 pm

Thanks for the tip!!
ladycattat

Post by ladycattat » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:23 pm

I am afraid that my family would declare a mutiny if I decided to go *raw* or vegan, and I am afraid that I just cannot eliminate entire food groups from my diet, but I have found a show on the Cooking Channel called *Hungry Girl* that shows how to *swap in* healthful ingredients into all kinds of diet traps. She also has a website and a blog where you can get tips everyday.
So far the my family's absolute favorite is her brownie muffin.....at 100 calories and I think 5 grams of fat...

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

1 devils food cake mix(any brand, doesn't matter)
1 15 1/2 oz can canned pumpkin(NOT pumpkin pie filling)

Mix the 2 together in a medium bowl with a wooden spoon. Batter will be very thick.
Line one muffin pan with 12 foil liners. Spray a little PAM in each one.

Using a 2oz ice cream scooper, scoop the batter and carefully fill each liner. When all 12 are full, bake for about 20-25 minutes till a toothpick comes out clean.

(I cannot STAND pumpkin, and I love these......I don't taste the pumpkin in them at all. My kids adore them!

Laurie
Summer,2012
90 Medium
5 BG
5.5 yellow

HG: Sheer Zinc Powder
and Equalizer
E/S..Spellbound, Adorn, and Juiced,
Lips: Roxie,Kinetic, Fascinate, Glacier, Nice Tan

There cannot be a crisis until next week. My schedule is already full.
Henry Kissinger
meadowbird

Post by meadowbird » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:41 pm

I think the lack of protein was the major thing. I do use the Sunwarrior protein powder though. I have to admit, while eating raw people commented on my healthy skin all the time, and I never once got sick. I got through a whole flu season during which my whole family got sick (including my son who decided crawling into bed with me and breathing all over me was a great idea!) and I never felt under the weather. Great immune booster!

I did learn a few things though. I only ever cook with virgin organic coconut oil now, and also eat it raw in smoothies ect, and now I have even more reasons to keep away from all pre-packaged type stuff, which I was never really into anyway.

Your raw desserts sound delicious. I'll definitely be looking up some nutmilk ice cream recipes too!

I currently use the Rexona clinical protection. I wasn't impressed the first couple of times, but it really is something that builds up and the more you use it the better it works. You put it on after you shower in the evening before bed so it can adjust to your body climate overnight, doesn't need to be reapplied after a morning shower. It does soothe the skin after shaving/waxing and doesn't leave the powdery residue. it does feel strange when you're washing though - like there's some sort of slick that won't come off. I'm in two minds about it but it's the only thing that's worked for me in the last year so I'll stick with it for now.

egerandi wrote:I'm high raw, and don't aspire to be 100% raw (perhaps only occasionally for a good ol' cleanse). I have been for over a year now, mostly vegan too, and feel great! I do include a lot of plant based protein into my diet and the necessary supplements, and I haven't experienced any negative side effects (my hair is doing great, especially with Karen's conditioner). I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out for you :(

I've experimented with 'ice creams' made out of nut milks and frozen bananas, and they were more or less successful, so I should prolly revisit with my new goodies. What I've been doing lately is chocolate 'truffles': mix up different ground up nuts with raw cacao and spirulina and other superfood powders like maca and mesquite with some dates and coconut nectar as sweetener, then roll them in ground up goji berries and coconut flakes. I make like 50 in one batch and they keep nicely in the fridge.

What do you use for deodorant? I don't mind silicones, so it would be cool to have it as a backup.
meadowbird wrote:Thanks for the link. :)

Blush : Lovelace ~ Flare ~ Stardust ~ Foxxy
Eyes: Scandal ~ Neuron ~ Sprite ~ Zest
Lips: Zinnia ~ Ambrosia ~ Pretty Please ~ Mango
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:55 pm

I'm drooling over everything mmmmm....it all sounds so great. I'm so going to make those muffins. DH doesn't like chocolate, but maybe I can sell them to him with the health benefits of pumpkin.

I don't bake much at all, but I do make ice cream pretty frequently. Lately I've been skipping the Ben and Jerry's recipe that has a ton of cream and sugar and making bases that are about 1/2 frozen fruit, and 1/2 plain yogurt with maybe a touch of sugar. Super yummy, but it freezes very hard, so I'm thinking they'll be really yummy popsicles over the summer.

It's not entirely guilt-free, but the yogurt is local and organic so I'm happy to be supporting the farmer. They're nice folks, and their cows are spoiled.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
Aden

Post by Aden » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:29 am

karen wrote:I don't bake much at all, but I do make ice cream pretty frequently. Lately I've been skipping the Ben and Jerry's recipe that has a ton of cream and sugar and making bases that are about 1/2 frozen fruit, and 1/2 plain yogurt with maybe a touch of sugar. Super yummy, but it freezes very hard, so I'm thinking they'll be really yummy popsicles over the summer.
Yum! Recipe please :P
AdoptYourNextPet

Post by AdoptYourNextPet » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:41 am

I'm with you ladycattat, I can not eliminate an entire food group. Hungry Girl has some really nice cook books as well with super easy to follow recipes.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com