Nude lippies

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
cclee00

Nude lippies

Post by cclee00 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:05 pm

Xarata wrote:XXX is the nudest, after that would be your foundation mixed with gloss, then mirage which is a touch pinker, and st. tropez is a pink nude (that is still going to mask your lips)

Depending on your lips, caramel and centerfold are nudes but are not going to lighten your lips at all.

Birthday Suit and Menage are YLBB nudes and from there you move on to colored "nudes" which are more like muted colors to me than actual nude lippies (and definitely not anywhere reminiscent of xxx).
I'm really wanting a super light nude that will kinda wash out my lips. Now, XXX seems to be the ticket, but the swatches I've seen look so brown that I'm worried about it looking like chocolate next to my pale skin.

For reference, (I didn't have time to take and post a decent picture) I'm pretty pale, about like Oxana (actually quite close in skin coloring), and with similar lip coloring. Brown eyes, red (occasionally/naturally brown) hair. The lip color varies, naturally.

I have Mirage and Modern Poet in my cart at the moment. How would those compare with other nudes? Centerfold sounds beautiful but Xarata mentions they won't lighten lips. It's unlikely I'll actually find a lippie that will match my foundation, but if I could get close that would be great.

Anyone else pale? How do your nudes work for you?
Caroline

Makeup junkie extraordinaire and geek
tardis

Re: Nude lippies

Post by tardis » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:32 pm

Mirage was a little dark for me and I'm closer to medium than fair. It also has a good dose of plum in it. Modern Poet is very light but on the sheer side. Although I have pigmented lips so I'm not the best judge.

Have you looked at Nice Tan? This seems to be what you're describing. Great neutral nude with good coverage.
kchalbi

Post by kchalbi » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:34 pm

I don't have centerfold, but caramel and maiden do lighten my lips (med pigmented).
cclee00

Post by cclee00 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:15 pm

I have Nice Tan from the Jetset palette and while it's nice it's more of a sheer brown. Maiden is similarly a pinky-brown MLBB shade.
Caroline

Makeup junkie extraordinaire and geek
frckls

Post by frckls » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:52 pm

Darnit I had written a long post but my browser crashed.

Steer away from Mirage, XXX, Centerfold, Negligee and the likes, on its own, unless you want to put on a zombie costume. But you can try mixing them with Coy, since it has faint pink color in it, I reckon it might work on you.
Other colors that I think will work great for your nude, mixed with Coy, perhaps Caramel and Bloom.

Have you considered Centerfold or Birthday Suit?

I have Mirage, but even on my (almost) medium golden skin tone, it still looks a bit plummy brown.
I have several nude pinks and peaches which I imagine would work for your nude. They're not SN though, and I don't have many SN nudes, so maybe the other can help with the SN dupes for the color.
Maybelline Moisture Extreme Natural Nude
L'Oreal Color Riche Pink Blush
Bourjois (the color name has scratched out, sorry)
Xarata

Post by Xarata » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:53 pm

When I want a "true nude" I just mix my foundation with a gloss. Coy would be a good one since your lips are darker than your skin.
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com
Xarata

Post by Xarata » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:06 pm

nudes.jpg
nudes.jpg (20.78 KiB) Viewed 5152 times
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com
feyith

Post by feyith » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:05 pm

Modern Poet is really pretty. I think I have darker pigmented lips than you do so Centerfold is a nice, lightening "pretty in pink" nude for me, as is St. Tropez. Mirage and XXX make my lips skin colored, if that makes sense.
carro

Post by carro » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:26 pm

I have been looking for the perfect nude for me and here are my experiences so far:
(BTW I have light neutral skin leaning cool, about MAC NW10-15)

XXX - I´ve read some describe this as totaly nude, whiping off the natural lipcolor. I just find it really dark on me, like a soft brown.
Centerfold - Not as dark as XXX but it still darkens my lips, but more wearable than XXX. Not the nude I´m looking for but wearable.
Modern poet - One of my favorites. This is the lightest one but it is sheer and will let Your natural lipcolor show through. Not a problame for me since my lipcolor is really light. Doesn´t last that long though.
Nice tan - Is described kind of similar to Modern poet but I find it a bit darker, could be that it just has more coverage than modern poet thus not letting my lips show trough as much, making it look darker on me.
Maiden - No nude to me, too dark and too warm.

Then coy enterd my life :D
I love coy + nice tan or coy + centerfold or even coy + XXX (but that combo is a bit too dark for that perfect nude)
Another great tip if You use liquid foundation, is to apply it on your lips + a gloss on top. I love it with icing or modern poet or a clear gloss. The same can be used with cream concealer + gloss.

Hope that was helpful!
feyith

Post by feyith » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:33 pm

Yeah, the liquid foundation trick works great! I used to do that a lot in high school and then completely forgot about it for the last 15 years. LOL.

Y'all are making me want to try Coy and Nice Tan!