Foundation measurements

Come in and hang-out with the girls! All off topic posts go here.
Ghost

Foundation measurements

Post by Ghost » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:24 pm

Hi all

(jen I think you may be able to help me with this one)

I remember on the website there was a page where it showed the measurement units Karen used to measure the foundation and what nots (The page had photos of the measuring spoons and I think it said that those little measuring mini scoop we have is 1/32 of a .................).

But now I can't find it. I was looking for it as my recipe is 11 ivory to 1 ebony and well trying it get 11 whites into a jar and trying not to loose count is surprisingly hard (memory like a sieve). I'm always thinking "was that 8 or 9 scoops I've done now" (and yes I've even started again lol). I was hoping someone might remember the mini scoop is a 1/32 of a .................. part.

It would save me some time and some brain cells, which I need desperately as Dr Kawashima's Brain Training isn't working. Damn that addictive sudoku ;)
Foundation: 1: baggie 6: ebony: 7 glow
Fav blush: Steller
Fav Lippie: Symphony
Fav combo: cream 1st half of lid, 09:59 2nd half, chocolate twinkle in the crease with Blackheart over it blended out and vanillia on brow bone.
mgmsrk

Re: Foundation measurements

Post by mgmsrk » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:13 pm

It’s 1/32 of a teaspoon. I just looked it up last week, I can’t recall where I found it on the web site but I did. I have the same problem with keeping track of scoops I have a 17 to 1 ratio.

I have a little set of measure spoons that are a dash, smidgen and pinch. I don’t typically use them for cooking but they came in handy for my foundation. I worked out that a Smidgen is twice the size as Karen’s scoop and a Pinch is twice as big as the Smidgen and the Dash is twice as big as the Pinch. So I used them to measure the foundation in the last mix, it was a lot easier. I’m sure the measurements are not exact but they are close enough.
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we are taught." (Baba Dioum)

www.Maryah-CBPP.com
Ghost

Post by Ghost » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:24 pm

hey Mgmsrk

Oh thanks for this. next time I'm shopping I can get a set of measuring spoon.

I don't know if you meant this to be funny
mgmsrk wrote:I worked out that a Smidgen is twice the size as Karen’s scoop and a Pinch is twice as big as the Smidgen and the Dash is twice as big as the Pinch.
but after a hard days work it bloody had me in stitches. I thought I was the only one who talks in the smidgen,pinch and dash language :lol:

Haven't laugh like that in ages thanks, but knowing my luck you're properly on about something that's gone completely over my head. lol
Foundation: 1: baggie 6: ebony: 7 glow
Fav blush: Steller
Fav Lippie: Symphony
Fav combo: cream 1st half of lid, 09:59 2nd half, chocolate twinkle in the crease with Blackheart over it blended out and vanillia on brow bone.
JenW

Post by JenW » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:07 pm

I use that set of spoons all the time in mixing powders.
Karen's scoop is indeed 1/32 teaspoon.
A Smidgen is the same volume = 1 scoop
A Pinch is 1/16th teaspoon = 2 scoops
A Dash is 1/8th teaspoon = 4 scoops
A Tad is 1/4 tsp = 8 scoops
a 1/2 tsp = 16 scoops

Hopefully, this will make measuring easier for the fair gals!!!
These are the standardized numbers out there, but I am not sure how exact the spoons are all the time. It is always best to check, as mgmsrk did to make sure the volume is right.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
lcash

Post by lcash » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:37 pm

Hi, ladies,

Perhaps Karen should sell smidgens, dashes, tads and pinches with her foundation kits! Your timing is great, Ghost. I used up the last of my medium base foundation this morning and need to mix up some more. Thanks for the reminder! Lauren
mgmsrk

Post by mgmsrk » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:10 pm

That is funny, I didn’t mean it to be. Glad you got a laugh.

Like Jen said the measurements are meant to be “standard” I goggled the measurements before I set out my last mixing session. But when I got the spoons out they didn’t look right so make sure to double check.
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we are taught." (Baba Dioum)

www.Maryah-CBPP.com