How was your Holiday?

Come in and hang-out with the girls! All off topic posts go here.
JenW

How was your Holiday?

Post by JenW » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:53 pm

How was everyone's Holiday? I hoe you all had a fabulous time with family and friends. I apologize for being MIA, but I have been sick on and off since mid-Nov. I ended up with Strep by New Year's Eve. It was still a good break with family and friends, but I am still in recovery. I hope you all fared better than I!

Notable makeup experiments- the Smokey Plum quad is a must have if you like purples. I used the lightest three colors. Chiffon as the highlight, Satin as the lid, and Taffeta as a crease. I lined with Amethyst Cream Liner. I honestly have never done a good smokey eye that I liked, but this one was so wearable and easy!

Notable gifts- Love my Wii Fit!!!!! (And I was so sick I lost 6 lbs in the first few days without trying.) We also got a really cool active game that my kids love called Active Life Outdoor Challenge for Wii.

Notable eats- I am totally shocked that Cadbury Mini Eggs (from Easter time) now come in Christmas form. I thought I was safe for most of the year from my favorite chocolate.

What 'Notables' did I miss?
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
karen
Site Admin

Re: How was your Holiday?

Post by karen » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:32 pm

Aaargh- sick for New Year's is no fun at all. I hope that you're getting better- and 6 pounds- WOW! I haven't dared to set foot on the scale this past week, but I know in the past month I've dropped a pants-size, so I'm relatively happy. We just got back into town from visiting my sister in Saratoga Springs. It was a pretty mellow time but we did hit a few of the after Christmas sales. NY and Company had some great stuff- and they were true bargains. I rarely shop, but it was fun. We did a very small Christmas, and got snowed-in on New Year's Eve- so they were uneventful- which is a good thing in my book. We didn't do a big present exchange- but I did get a heated car seat cover from DH which has come-in handy. I wore a little Soiree every now and then- and Raindrops on Roses has become a bit of a favorite of mine. Satisfied has gained a new spot in my heart- I've been wearing it quite often.

All in all it was very mellow, quiet, and relaxing- I can't wait to get back to work tomorrow. I'm recharged, and full of ideas!
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
krenee

Post by krenee » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:46 pm

Yay Jen - I saw your post and am glad for something to "chat" about! LOL. I was just complaining over on the MaM forum that with all the holiday sales and "stuff" going on out there I think I am going through withdrawal now and I am bored. (time for an update Karen - hint hint - HA HA, just kidding of course.) However I have been home for several days without a lot going on so that is probably part of it. I got sick too right before New Year's and luckily I got spared having full-blown laryngitis this time (probably because I wasn't at work and was able to save my voice from talking as much) but I have been up hacking at night and so haven't slept well at all. Tomorrow is back to regular work schedule for me and that will be a rude awakening. Everyone at work will be crabby after 2 short weeks like we've had (LOL.) School starts back up tomorrow too of course so that will be a rude awakening in our house as well.
So anyway, my Christmas was good - New year's boring and not so good due to being sick. I got a pair of UGGs boots for Christmas from DH. They really are pretty cool. I'd been eyeing them but didn't want to spend out the cash and I was going to consider buying some knock-offs after Christmas but DH sprung for the real thing. They are really nice and keep my feet toasty. Which is a good thing since everything is horribly frozen up and icy here right now. My driveway was icy already but we got freezing rain the other day and now it is just ridiculous. I had to put rugs on the back steps so I can get the dogs up and down to go outside. Last night I had to go down the steps in a sitting position and crawl across the patio (not a pretty sight) to get our little dog who was stuck out there. What a MESS.
I am a Cadbury mini egg eater too. I think I knew they were available at Christmas too, but something about them being red and green "bugs" me. (yes I am a weirdo...) I like the white ones but the red and green ones seem just "not right" to me. I think to me Cadbury mini eggs are supposed to be pastel?! LOL. I did not see any this year and prob a good thing as I did not need them. I was busy trying to find the soft Christmas peppermints that DH likes and it seems everyone else likes too - I did manage to score him a few bags of them though. Notable at Christmas dinner was New Orleans sweet potato souffle. Boy is that good. We usually tend to make the same things on holidays and that was a new addition but it is great!
forgot to mention that DD got the Nintendo DS she's been wanting forever and I did get DH a present I was really proud of. It is a set of deluxe samples of 10 men's colognes from Sephora so you can try the 10 samples and then when you pick your favorite there is a certif in the box that you can take to Sephora and get a full size of the one you like best. He actually really ended up liking it and it is rare that I come up with a "good" gift like that any more.
Funny you mention the Smoky Plum quad. That is in my cart as we speak. Am trying to find something to wear with Black Cherry liner though as I am in love with that. The plum may work with Black Cherry though.
JenW

Post by JenW » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:41 pm

Hey Karmen! I also have to say I am also having a 'love affair' with the Black Cherry Cream liner myself. I just really got into that one over the Holidays! Yes, I do think it would look lovely with the Plum Quad. It makes a nice contrast that is a little rosier than the Amethyst. The BC actually shows up better as a result, and very polished looking. I need to give the Midnight liner a go, too. I have mostly done a party face or no makeup the last few weeks due to being sick.

Karen- my new fave lippies for the Holidays were Sugar Plum for most days, and Morello for the dramatic look! Looking forward to your new ideas and plans!!!!
Faves-
ladycattat

Post by ladycattat » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:22 pm

Hi, jumping on the sick as a dog bandwagon here!!!!
My kids had minor colds the week before Christmas and gave me all their nasty little germs, so I have been out of commission since the 27th.
Christmas was nice though. We had Christmas morning here. DH gave me gift cards! YAY!(check out my blog for the haul)
I gave DH a portable DVD player and a bunch of gadget-y, manly-man, from *as seen on tv* things to help him at work. Oh, and a couple of Steelers shirts.
We finally entered the 21st century and got the kids a Wii. It came in a bundle with *play* and *sport* and they are having a ball. Once they get bored, then we will start get new stuff like *fit* and guitar hero.
Funny you should mention Uggs, Karmen, I got DD a pair of really cute(I thought) pewter colored faux Uggs for Christmas, Well, she got all snotty and said they were ugly and that she wouldn't wear them or her freinds would laugh at her.......OK, said I, I'll wear them! that's the ONLY good thing about having your 9 year old wear the same size 10 shoes as you! ROFLMAO!!!
We went out to my parents in Indio(near Palm Springs) on the 26th to celebrate with them. We were supposed to stay for 2 days, but ended up leaving early cuz I could tell I was getting sick and didn't want to be Typhoid Mary!
I got my SN order with my new eyeshadow primer that I am dying to try, but I have no energy at all to fluff. I haven't had any makeup on at all in a week and half and I look like death warmed over!
I'm with Karen, though, in the losing pants size thing.
When I went to go get new jeans on the 26th, at the same place I always get my jeans, the same jeans I always get, I had to get jeans 2 sizes smaller than usual----which is totally weird, I am not exercising, or eating less, and I don't have a scale, so I don't know if I lost weight or what. I think the jeans manufacterer made the jeans bigger so that us *curvy girls* will feel better about ourselves and buy more of their jeans!
'Nuff of my blathering!
Happy new year. So glad DH has one more day off so he can get the kids of to school tomorrow and I can have 1 more day of rest!
Laurie
Summer,2012
90 Medium
5 BG
5.5 yellow

HG: Sheer Zinc Powder
and Equalizer
E/S..Spellbound, Adorn, and Juiced,
Lips: Roxie,Kinetic, Fascinate, Glacier, Nice Tan

There cannot be a crisis until next week. My schedule is already full.
Henry Kissinger
zeebs

Post by zeebs » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:51 pm

sick, tired, seasonal affective disorder. You know, the usual. The holiday was nice but on top of moving and being sick it was a little stressful.
krenee

Post by krenee » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:26 pm

Hey Jen, thanks for the advice about the BC liner and the Smoky Plum. I was thinking by looking at the swatches that it would go with the Velvet and Taffeta for sure, but you never know. I never would have thought I could use a color like Black Cherry but I got a sample and I really like it. It is amazing how that little sample lasted me too (I hoarded it) but by now the sample has "died" and is ready to be replaced. I thought that purple made my eyes look green until I tried the reddish colors like the black cherry - w-o-w. They really make my eyes look green!
Laurie, LOL about your daughter and the faux UGGs. I think there are some faux that look exactly like the original, although I have "heard" that sometimes they don't have the real lambswool in them if they are faux. I don't know if that is good or bad. The real UGGs are super-warm though - but I guess in CA that isn't such a worry for you as it is here. LOL. I heard of some brand too that is based in Seattle I think and they are a competitor of UGGs and Paris Hilton wears or is a spokesperson for them or something. Can't think of what the name of that brand is right now though. Anyway I prob would have been just as satisfied with faux or not the actual UGGs brand but my husband does have good taste, much better than me as I am a jeans and T shirt type of person the majority of the time!
pinkpomelo

Post by pinkpomelo » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:52 pm

krenee wrote:I was just complaining over on the MaM forum that with all the holiday sales and "stuff" going on out there I think I am going through withdrawal now and I am bored. (time for an update Karen - hint hint - HA HA, just kidding of course.)
I would love another sale -- haha... i am so regretting that i didn't do a second spree when Karen extended her X'mas sale.

I spent holidays telling all my girlfriends about SN and letting them try my haul. Now I've got converts and I'm eagerly waiting for another sale :D

I see a lot of you ladies got the Wii. My hubby decided to get a PS 3 instead -- he says its the cheapest Blue Ray Disc player in the market now. I got Iron Man, Batman Begins and Batman Returns... we've watched them all at least twice on our projector screen. I have my very own cinema at home! Yay.

Although all the buttery popcorn I ate while watching all those movies isn't helping the waist line.
faithtoh.blogspot.com
Currently foundation formula: 1 Warm Gold + 1 Ebony + 5 Heavy Ivory
Oil Control Blur Finishing Powder
Pristine Perfecting Powder or Date Bait
tizzylou

Post by tizzylou » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:08 pm

I survived Christmas without getting sick, but not New Year's. We actually left a friends New Year's Eve party before midnight because I felt so bad that I asked DH if we could go home, and then I spent New Year's day in bed. What away to bring in 2009. I still don't know what DH got me for Christmas other than a necklace, he ordered something for me off the TV, and it was supposedly shipped on the 24th, but isn't here yet. I keep teasing him and telling him that my Christmas present is actually going to be my Valentine's Day gift.

Jen, what is the Wii Fit Active LIfe Outdoor Challenge like? I have seen it mentioned and advertised, but haven't been able to look at it up close, so am curious.
Karen, I did venture onto the scale, didn't manage to loose over the holiday's but did stay the same, and that in it's self is a sucess given this time of year and all the goodies that show up at work from resident's families

Makeup loves have been Splendid and Festive. I love greens so gave Grassroots Green and Festive quite a bit of wearing time lately, but am back to grabbing more neuturals this weekend. The smokey plum quad minus velvet is in wish list, although with 40+ eyeshadows, my DH says I don't need anymore, not that he will say anything to me when it arrives.
Since I have green eyes I may have to check out the Black Cherry liner, and like everybody else I am looking forward to seeing what Karen has up her sleeve.

Hollis
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:27 am

Hollis-
Active Life Outdoor Challenge has a mat controller similar to Playstation Dance Dance Revolution. There are all kinds of running and jumping things to do. There are activities where the kids compete, and others where they have to work together. My DH has been doing a jump rope thing on it. It seems to be part aerobic and some puzzle skills all rolled up in improving your reaction time. I honestly have not tried it myself, but I see it as another alternative for indoor activity when the weather isn't cooperating. We got ours at Amazon for about $56 including the mat (I think it is $50 now). It was one of my last minute decisions for gifts, but I figured we needed something to do this winter.

As a side note, the other game my kids absolutely love is the original Rayman's Raving Rabids game for Wii. It was about $20 and has been loads of fun. My personal favorite is the cow toss, and that all the shooting gallery games shoot plungers. I will add a disclaimer that it involves some bathroom humor and it can be slightly on the gross side. Just think Jr. High. ;)
Faves-