Lippie suggestions

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
Ryvyan

Lippie suggestions

Post by Ryvyan » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:47 am

Hello! Really want to get a few lippies but need to trim it down to 5 or 6 because it's too addictive! Would appreciate some help (or alternatives...?)

I have a few samples from a friend, but Cultured, Precious, Pout and Berry Crush looked the same on my lips... hint of pink but mainly like if I just applied clear gloss :(
The only one that managed a change of colour was Prelude, but it looked plum (see attached). Sorry for the weird cut-off, but my other eye is super wonky today and it's not pretty.

Right now, I have these in my cart:
- Vintage
- Black Dahlia
- Smooth & Full
- Raindrops on Roses
- Temptation
- Bombshell Red
- St Tropez
- Precious
- Prelude

I'm looking to get a nice red and nude/brown. Open to bright colours because I'm too lazy to dress up my eyes (maximum = eyeliner). I might abandon Precious for Smooth & Full since it is not very pigmented on me. And Prelude... I may be paranoid but I feel the shade makes me look older.

Edit: Remember I said I'm open to bright colours? I'm gravitating towards Shrieking Violet but I don't know how it would look on my lips. Anyone tried it and loved it?

I still have not gotten round to getting my foundation shade in SN but I used EDM and was a mix of olive and warm (their blushes never turned peach on me, if that helps figure out my shade).

Help appreciated <3
Attachments
Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png (51.54 KiB) Viewed 4434 times
Liz Lemon: "I want to go to there."
superwahz

Re: Lippie suggestions

Post by superwahz » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:49 am

Your skin sounds rather warm, I think Temptation will be a nice pop of color on your lips if you like shimmer! Or if you'd like less shimmer, Verve. They look almost exactly the same on my lips. Bold coral, with Verve being a bit more red. They are my "red lippie" colors.

Haven't tried Bombshell Red as I don't do reds well, but if it is like the d/c'ed Platinum Red the description says it is, it's gonna be very red! So, if that's what you're looking for, go for it! :D

I LOVE Black Dahlia! I think it's very flattering. It's a shimmery deep plum and will probably look good on your lips, just be aware that it is a darker color as opposed to bright. But it will make a statement if you layer it on a bit! ;)

As for the glosses--Vintage is a darker red gloss, more wine colored. I like it! I do own Shrieking Violet and its a bit cool for me, but a very pretty color none the less! St. Tropez is a soft nude pink on most of the people who try it. I'm thinking that on your lips it will be a pretty sheer nude color, similar to how Precious looks but without the gold shimmer. If you're wanting a more pink/brown nude, I'd try Caramel. Haven't tried it yet, but I hear Iced Mocha is a pretty brown!

From your list I'd say get Temptation, Black Dahlia, St. Tropez, Bombshell Red, and Smooth and Full...add in one of the browns and one of the new colors if you're feeling generous with your lippie purchase! :D Pick up Vintage, Raindrops on Roses, Caramel (or Iced Mocha) and Precious on your next order. If you didn't love Prelude when you sampled it, I'd hold off on buying it...plenty more lippies in the sea! :lol:

The brightest new colors IMO are Shrieking Violet (kind of lavender fuchsia) or Azalea (bright, bold fuschia), they may be a bit cool for you though. Zinna (pink coral gloss) might work too, but if you get Temptation or Verve that will be enough coral to try.
Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic. ~Rosalind Russell
aud

Post by aud » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:19 am

I don't have most of the lippies you've shortlisted except for Raindrops, Temptation, St Tropez, Precious and Smooth and Full.
Smooth and Full doesn't plump up instantly, best left overnight for lip plumping effect if you need it. If you don't fancy lip plumpers, the Devil's Food Cake black label is absolutely tops in terms of moisturising power (and I love the chocolate scent!)

Here're how the lippies look on my lips. Hope they help. Temptation makes me look slightly oldish or more matured, Raindrops not as "old". The rest are pretty neutral.

St Tropez

Precious

Raindrops

Temptation (I had to tweak the colour quite a bit to get it to reflect what I see in the mirror on my lips)

One colour I really like for a nice splash of colour but not too bold or old nor sparkly is Rare Berry.
Current SN foundation mix: 4 Buttery Gold: 2 Yellow Boosters: 21 Medium Ivory: 8 Original Ivory: 3 Glow
Favourite SN lippies (currently): Darling, Barcelona (Gumball), Menage
Favourite SN blushers: Carnal, Satisfied
kinjali22

Post by kinjali22 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:11 pm

Wow, aud! Thank you for the lippie swatches. They help so much!

Ryvyan, Iced Mocha (wand formula) would make a very pretty brown red color. It's mostly brown but since its a gloss formula, its also sheer. I think your lip color would show through and give you the brown/red hint that you're looking for. Also, Truly would be a great color. It's a sheer lippie so it doesn't look so bold. It's more of a natural glow. I'm also eying Shrieking Violet :D I know it'll be too cool for me but it looks like such a beautiful color. Someone on Chanty's forum mentioned that if its applied very lightly, it will work with warmer skin tones. I would also suggest Modern Poet/St. Tropez/Centerfold for a nude lippie with a hint of pink. All three look the same on my lips. HTH
zeebs

Post by zeebs » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:27 pm

Ryvyan wrote: I'm looking to get a nice red and nude/brown.
Light nude: Mirage or Caramel (Mirage is cool, Caramel is warm)
Darker nude: Jaybird (more reddish), Birthday Suit or Iced Mocha (I have not tried Iced Mocha, but others like it)

Black Dahlia should show up but is more of a deep blood purple than a red.
Hot Blooded, Bombshell for reds.
Vintage, on me, was quite plum, not at all red. I think it would be very pretty for you as a wine color though :)
Raindrops on Roses is quite pink, though it's more of a gloss than a lipstick IMO. It's like a semi-opaque fuschia gloss. It definitely won't be red or brown.
I agree that Temptation and Verve would be good choices. Verve "provides a nice amount of coverage" according to its product description.

HTH.
Ryvyan

Post by Ryvyan » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:49 am

superwahz, thanks for the suggestions! I really appreciated the warm/cool tips on the lippies because I can't tell from pictures and it was really confusing whenever I read comments. You just sold me on Black Dahlia! I was fussy about Prelude, but I think that plum suits me best because I don't have the pale skin to pull off the kind of red lips I really love. :D

aud, thanks for the awesome pictures! St Tropez, Raindrops and Temptation just went into my confirmed cart. Temptation on you has this vintage look I like, and Raindrops look gorgeous on you! ;) I've decided to not get the plumper but just a plain lip balm, because my lips aren't too thin and it can actually get a little overwhelming at times even if I don't have a lippie on.

kinjali22, I keep thinking I need something a little out there and the name of Shrieking Violet seems to fit that. But I searched the forum abit and wasn't too impressed with the colour in the end :( Thanks for the heads up on Iced Mocha, but how does it compare with Caramel? It seems like most people have one and not the other!

zeebs, thanks for organising the nudes! I'm going to have to decide between Caramel and Iced Mocha now. On Raindrops, I think I'll grab this and St Tropez as a less pigmented gloss, otherwise it'll just turn out to be another pink gloss I can gift away easily :P I'd get Verve but I'm so in love with aud's swatch of Temptation!

My sort-of-confirmed list:
- St Tropez
- Black Dahlia
- Temptation
- Vintage
- Raindrops on Roses
- Iced Mocha/Caramel

And now I'm thinking of Cassis, this is terrible! My friend needs to tell me she needs a confirmation of our orders so I can decide and stop surfing :P
superwahz

Post by superwahz » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:56 am

Ryvyan wrote:superwahz, thanks for the suggestions! I really appreciated the warm/cool tips on the lippies because I can't tell from pictures and it was really confusing whenever I read comments. You just sold me on Black Dahlia! I was fussy about Prelude, but I think that plum suits me best because I don't have the pale skin to pull off the kind of red lips I really love. :D

And now I'm thinking of Cassis, this is terrible! My friend needs to tell me she needs a confirmation of our orders so I can decide and stop surfing :P
I suspect you'd be able to pull off a more orange red lipstick that's very opaque and pigmented. I've seen that sort of color on deeper toned women and it's absolutely fabulous! Unfortunately the closest color Karen sells to that would be Verve, but it probably isn't opaque enough...odds are it will looks like Temptation does, without the gold shimmer. I think there's a red out there for every woman...finding that red is the challenge! ;)

You're gonna love Black Dahlia!! Cassis is incredible. Very dark, pigmented plum. It's so dark I'll have to probably wear a lip pencil under it to deepen the tone of my lips so there are no gaps in color as it wears off. Though I think on deeper lips that won't be necessary. It's darker than Black Dahlia. If you're not scared off by dark colors, you might like it! :D
Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic. ~Rosalind Russell
Ryvyan

Post by Ryvyan » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:45 am

I'm almost sold on Cassis because it really does look gorgeous! Even though in my mind, that specific shade suits a light skinned person more, I still feel like getting it to... experiment. :P

Or Azalea because I love the explosion of violent pink even though it would look terrible on my skin tone. Oh dear...
aud

Post by aud » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:53 pm

Ryvyan - glad the swatches helped :)

you're right about how Temptation looks "vintage". I actually have it on my lips when I wear one of my faux black Chinese satin cheongsam dress with a large flower embroidery work on the lower half to work. Or with one of my severe black work dresses, to look more "grown up" (ahem although I'm not that young). Enjoy your colours :)

On SN nudes, I recently purchased Mirage and XXX. I think Mirage is an easy nude to carry off as some of the pink from your lips will show through. XXX is more pigmented but very moisturising. I think both do suit warm skins well, so long as you do a bit of careful pairing with your blusher and eyeshadow. I don't have the rest of the nudes, but another friend with warm undertones recommends Caramel over Birthday Suit. For your ref, my SN foundation mix is around (2BG: 4 - 5 WG medium: 1/2 Yellow corrector: 1/2 Glow). Mirage has less inherent pink than ST and is slightly more opaque.

MirageImage

XXXImage
Current SN foundation mix: 4 Buttery Gold: 2 Yellow Boosters: 21 Medium Ivory: 8 Original Ivory: 3 Glow
Favourite SN lippies (currently): Darling, Barcelona (Gumball), Menage
Favourite SN blushers: Carnal, Satisfied