What do you think of cornstarch in your makeup?

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
cosmeticcosmos

What do you think of cornstarch in your makeup?

Post by cosmeticcosmos » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:26 pm

I was wondering if anyone personally experiences breakouts with cornstarch before I use it (its in a powder I'm considering using and high on the list). I know many websites like zerozits, etc... say that it is comedogenic, since acne bacteria thrive off of it..... but I want to hear peoples personal experiences since I find that many ingredients on lists like zerozits do break me out when they shouldn't and don't break me out when they should.

Please share any thoughts you may have on this ingredient. Thanks!
JenW

Re: What do you think of cornstarch in your makeup?

Post by JenW » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:21 pm

This is a question about which I think you will get better feedback on another forum. None of our products contain cornstarch.....
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
Xarata

Post by Xarata » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:33 pm

i don't do cornstarch. Even just playing with cornstarch for baking or mystery goo- it's chalky, it clings, and it's super small particled. When it gets wet, it gets gooey/blobby- when minerals get wet, they make a kind of clay slurry like a mask. Cornstarch is also basically food and biodegradable- minerals are more like teeny bits of rock... Combine that with the fact that i have a more than occassional habit of going to bed in my makeup and it's a recipe for disaster.

just my two cents.

In general, makeup is case by case and the only "rule" is "whatever works!"
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com
ega

Post by ega » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:12 pm

I love corn starch myself. However, what I am using is modified starch called DryFlo AF Pure®, which is much softer/more delicate than ordinary starch. I did have a sample of finishing powder (from the Company That Should Not Be Named) which contained ordinary corn starch and hated it because its texture was so rough that I felt as if there was sand in it.

I use DryFlo as primer mostly, sometimes alone, sometimes mixed with pearl powder. It's best for mattifying my sunscreen. Occasionally I also add a little to my finishing powder or foundation. Fortunately, unlike rice powder, it never breaks me out.
Foundation Mix: 3 x Buttery Gold : 2 x Yellow Booster : 0.5 x Green Booster : 57 x Original Ivory : 3 x Glow
Lips: Pure, Ambrosia, Reaction, Chemise, Flaunt, Cerise | Eyes: Grassroots Green, Goddess, Motive, Fuse