all-in-one double-ended lippie

This is the Silk Naturals suggestion box!
Post your color requests, and other wishes here.
ludmila

all-in-one double-ended lippie

Post by ludmila » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:33 pm

Hi girls! This is my first post here and it's all about lippies! I am a lip product addict, I have dozens of them scattered around my drawers and make-up bags and very often they expire before I get to use them up! The reason for having so many of them is not only my love for variety, but also the fact that each one serves a different purpose: one is an intensive moisturising treatment, another is glossy, anti-ageing, plumping, has SPF, offers cold sore protection et c. I even noticed that when I travel I feel the need to carry 2-3 lippies in my bag.
I was very happy to discover SN and I instantly fell in love with the ALG formula, almost thought I can stop searching for the "one and only"! And I definitely would, if there was some natural SPF in it, along with other ingredients that would soothe, heal and protect, such as Q10, Vit.C, green tea, camomile, honey, propolis, lysine, ginger oil... of course, not without a touch of colour (perhaps deived from berries and fruits), just a little bit, maintaining (or maybe enhancing) the creamy-buttery texture and sheen of ALG. Moreover, pack it in a small double-ended tube with the other end containing the same formula minus the SPF and the colour (to use as a night treatment or sheer gloss for the evening or as an all-purpose balm). Plus, have refills available for sale, so we can re-use the same tube by loading-in more product to one end. Now this could be my best friend and companion!
Springfairy

Re: all-in-one double-ended lippie

Post by Springfairy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:47 am

As far as I know the fruit pigments used as colour are patented by another company selling natural products.
"Everything that is done for us, without us, is not ours."
JenW

Post by JenW » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:50 am

Packaging like that might be near impossible to find, too. However, it sounds incredibly cool!
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
ludmila

Post by ludmila » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:02 am

I know the company that uses fruit pigments, I just wasn't aware that it was patented...
I've seen this kind of packaging in Jane Iredale's lip plumper and scrub, it's a really cool multi-task product, but doesn't have everything I want, it's too expensive and with no refills...
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:00 am

I think we're underselling the ALG's!
The plumper in it- Dipalmitoyl hydroxyproline is actually an anti-oxidant that helps your body maintain and grow new collagen (like vitamin c or CoQ-10). It also is a deeply penetrating moisturizer. It really does most of the things that you were looking for in that list. Except for the cold sore thing- for that we make the Pumpkin Salve, and it does work wonders. Lemon essential oil kills the herpes virus faster and better than just about anything.

For the untinted night treatment version or very luxe balm there's the Smooth & Full black label- it's really a favorite.

We do use titanium dioxide in a lot of the lighter color lippies, and that is a sunscreen ingredient, but I haven't had it tested to determine the SPF, and I won't because anything with an SPF rating is a drug and we're not drug manufacturers.

As much as I love the idea of fruit pigments- they're not actually approved by the FDA for use in cosmetics. They got a patent (how I'm not sure- it's not really novel), but they aren't actually legal. There are some plant derived pigments that are legal, but I've played with them and they're pretty underwhelming for lippies.

I always thought a dual ended stain and gloss would be neat, but I haven't found any nifty packaging for it.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
cclee00

Post by cclee00 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:09 am

It would be pretty cool. I too carry at least three lippies in my purse (the SN caffeinated balm, a regular SN balm, and a Dr Pepper Lipsmackers for a little color in case I run out of the house without a color lippie) and it would be awesome to slim down. Like Jen said, packaging would be difficult, but it's a wonderful idea. If Karen's able to invent this I would be all over it.
Caroline

Makeup junkie extraordinaire and geek
ludmila

Post by ludmila » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:12 pm

I've used Jane Iredale's lip plumper and scrub, it's a nice dual-pack multi-task product, but too expensive... I'm guessing that packaging is part of the reason for that...
Still wish there was a hybrid of ALG, Pumpkin salve and Smooth & Full in just one sleek tube :)
P.S.: I actually find ALG formula more moisturising and creamy than Smooth & Full.
fluttershy

Post by fluttershy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:15 pm

ludmila wrote:I've used Jane Iredale's lip plumper and scrub, it's a nice dual-pack multi-task product, but too expensive... I'm guessing that packaging is part of the reason for that...
Still wish there was a hybrid of ALG, Pumpkin salve and Smooth & Full in just one sleek tube :)
P.S.: I actually find ALG formula more moisturising and creamy than Smooth & Full.
I find the ALG formula to be really moisturizing too--I absolutely LOVE it, and I have no problem with the minty kick. It's my favorite formula out of all the lip products from SN I've tried so far!!!!
ludmila

Post by ludmila » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:32 am

Wow, I didn't know that everything with SPF is considered a drug! I live in a very sunny part of the world (you stay indoors and still get a tan! :lol: ), so I try to use sun protection whenever I can. I guess the more opaque is the lipstick the more titanium dioxide it contains and therefore offers more protection, right?
Do ALGs contain any healing/antibacterial ingredients? Not just for cold sores, but also for cracked lips (this often happens in the winter, especially to those of us who have the nervous habit of biting their lips). This was the reason I suggested camomile, honey, propolis et c.
A dual-ended stain-gloss sounds great too, it actually makes a lot of sense!
:idea: I just thought of a palette (in the form of a small compact with a mirror and brush) containing a stain, a scrub, a colour (e.g. ALG) and a clear BL! But stains are liquid, so... And another important thing about "multi-taskers" is that there should be a refill system because you may run-out of one product before the other. It turns-out that a "genius" packaging would go a long way!
Just checked my make-up bag: right now I'm carrying 3 different lippies and if I would go for a short trip I would add 3 more! If I had to pick one, well :? I don't know... Insane, right?
Karen, if you ever come-up with a way to combine 2 or more different products (with different functions) in one small sleek pack, I would be really really happy! :)
Oxana124

Post by Oxana124 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:11 am

I always have a bunch of lip products in my bag too, I thought it was pretty normal for ladies to carry around several :) Even my mom who is not into makeup at all, has like 3 lip products in her purse. I have at least 6. Just some balms, few different lip colors, gloss. I like to be prepared for everything. Not to mention the little emergency makeup bag I have too, with concealer and powder, tweezers, q-tips, etc :)
I guess a double sided item would on one hand be reducing the number of items you carry, but it would have to be bigger in size, so I'm not sure it would actually take up less space. I do love how skinny the current lip product tubes are. And I am another huge fan of ALGs, they just work so amazing for me! I have a clear ALG as well, so I can use that at night.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Oxana124
http://swatchsoiree.blogspot.com