Birdie: Make-up wearing Service Dog

Come in and hang-out with the girls! All off topic posts go here.
karen
Site Admin

Re: Birdie: Make-up wearing Service Dog

Post by karen » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:09 pm

One of my friends just posted this on Facebook...it's almost the same story, and she's such a cutie. She's in NYC, currently on the euthanize list.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf# ... 370&ref=nf
Lily looks like a doll- I'd bet with a little love, and some good food she's be the sweetest dog for someone.

Here's a little bit better link in case the facebook one doesn't work
http://fosterdogsnyc.blogspot.com/2010/ ... e-now.html

They're looking for either a foster or adoption situation. Today is her last day...

Update: Lily found a good foster home!!!!
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
Hoyden

Post by Hoyden » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:00 pm

karen wrote:One of my friends just posted this on Facebook...it's almost the same story, and she's such a cutie. She's in NYC, currently on the euthanize list.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf# ... 370&ref=nf
Lily looks like a doll- I'd bet with a little love, and some good food she's be the sweetest dog for someone.

Here's a little bit better link in case the facebook one doesn't work
http://fosterdogsnyc.blogspot.com/2010/ ... e-now.html

They're looking for either a foster or adoption situation. Today is her last day...
I saw her on one of the dog forums already. With the economy being as crappy as it is now, so many groups have lost fosters and those of us who can't foster, but want to help are chipping in as much as we can to support as many fosters as we can so that there are places for dogs to go until we can find them homes. I do home checks, training and provide after placement support & training to famililes who adopt pit bulls in my area. I also make them nice collars too. :)

Jesse, Birdie's foster dad, has a dog he pulled a few months ago that he will adopting out soon. He takes pit bulls one at a time and works with them.
With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate, and the wisdom to be humble.
Courage is the foundation of integrity. ~ Keshavan Nair
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:05 pm

It's good there are people like you in the world. Our local shelter just picked up 100 animals that someone was hoarding. They're a no-kill shelter, and we just helped them as much as we could. I know all of the animal causes have had a tough year.

Her collars are beautiful! I don't know if you sell them, but it's not a problem to put a small link to any site you might have on your signature.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
egerandi

Post by egerandi » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:01 pm

Hah, nail polish, pretty cool! She's a lovely dog, and sounds like forever patient too. I can't even put a costume on mine, hehe. Love that 'tatoo'!

Edit to comment on Lilly: yay!
Last edited by egerandi on Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tizzylou

Post by tizzylou » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:32 pm

Peaches doesn't fight clothing( she only has one dress)and someone besides me bought it for her. But she won't hold still long enough to put nail polish on!! However she likes lip balms and hand lotion. If she can get ahold of a tube of lip balm, she takes it and buries it in the couch, her bed or any of her many hiding places. It she see you putting lotion on, she will start licking it off as fast as you put it one, and if she can reach the bottle, she is licking the pump or the disk top to try and get it out.
JenK

Post by JenK » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:57 pm

WHAT A CHARMER!!!!! I love the Renaissance Faire picture!!!! She should be the poster child for what pit bulls really are, not what society thinks of them due to CRAPPY people poorly treating/abusing them.

String Cheese makes my dog behave like a little angel. I always bring it to the vet and she doesn't notice the needles going in!! Makes bath time a breeze.

Our No-Kill shelters are full of feral dogs from the islands. I don't want to see them get put down, but many don't make the best pets (hard to place them b/c very few people meet the requirements, they are honest at the shelter they aren't for most people/families...Don't work, won't be out of the house for longer than an hour at a time, never be around children or other pets). Seems like all the local "family" pets get sent to the kill shelters. I don't understand why local family pets aren't given the same chance, makes me so sad.

Birdie is adogdorable!!!!
WendyD

Post by WendyD » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:54 am

Oh, Birdie is such a dear! She looks so sweet, I'm glad she got a happy ending =)
JenK wrote:WHAT A CHARMER!!!!! I love the Renaissance Faire picture!!!! She should be the poster child for what pit bulls really are, not what society thinks of them due to CRAPPY people poorly treating/abusing them.
Exactly... Ontario banned pitbulls (and any dog that looks like a pitbull) several years ago. It's ridiculous.
lilychemgirl

Post by lilychemgirl » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:27 pm

I hope I am not being too controversial, but I support a ban of fighting breed dogs, the same dog that killed our chickens has also killed numerous other pets, and bitten my neighbor, and there are news stories all the time about attacks from fighting breeds of dog. I don't blame the dogs, I blame the owners who allow their dogs to roam, don't socialize them properly etc., but seeing as you can't ban the owners (lol) think it is a good idea to ban the dogs. I don't support mass euthenising, but I do support no longer breeding/sterilizing the ones we have.
I know some people really love pit bulls, but how many times have you ever heard of a Labrador attacking a child?
I think that if you give a good, loving home to a pitbull or other fighting breed of dog from a shelter that is great, but why breed more?
Please don't flame me :?
Mineral makeup addict, Mama to three amazing girls, loving wife to Tom ♥
Silverfern

Post by Silverfern » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:48 pm

lilychemgirl wrote:I hope I am not being too controversial, but I support a ban of fighting breed dogs, the same dog that killed our chickens has also killed numerous other pets, and bitten my neighbor, and there are news stories all the time about attacks from fighting breeds of dog. I don't blame the dogs, I blame the owners who allow their dogs to roam, don't socialize them properly etc., but seeing as you can't ban the owners (lol) think it is a good idea to ban the dogs. I don't support mass euthenising, but I do support no longer breeding/sterilizing the ones we have.
I know some people really love pit bulls, but how many times have you ever heard of a Labrador attacking a child?
I think that if you give a good, loving home to a pitbull or other fighting breed of dog from a shelter that is great, but why breed more?
Please don't flame me :?
I don't think you'll get flamed but I think Hoyden might have some enlightening links to read about this issue.

I wish we could ban the owners! haha

Hoyden, I've told you before but I think it's freaking awesome that you paint her toe nails.
Xarata

Post by Xarata » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:54 pm

lilychemgirl wrote:I think that if you give a good, loving home to a pitbull or other fighting breed of dog from a shelter that is great, but why breed more?
I'm not saying that you're wrong- pitbulls in general do make me nervous at first, but that's a society borne fear. The reason I believe people continue to breed them (outside of those who breed them for a harsh life of fighting) is because from what i know, pitbulls tend to be some of the sweetest, smartest, and most fiercely loyal dogs out there.

Unfortunately, that loyalty is sometimes what causes them to attack (in defense of their owners). Children get bitten frequently because, being children, they don't exercise necessary caution around strange dogs, they often handle them not so gently, and they will pursue a dog that is fleeing them. That's why children get bitten and they get bitten often.The controversy with pitbulls is that once they choose to attack, it's to the end.
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com