Homecoming compared to Mahalo

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
Trainer

Homecoming compared to Mahalo

Post by Trainer » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:05 pm

I just ordered mahalo and I missed homecoming. Can anyone compare the two for me? I would love a light sparkly color that I can wear as a wash. Thanks!
Cupcake

Re: Homecoming compared to Mahalo

Post by Cupcake » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:55 pm

I can't photograph them as my camera is packed away before moving house early next week but I can tell you that Mahalo has an antique gold tone whereas Homecoming is more like pale, faded, creamy, delicate antique lace. Homecoming is a highlighter for my very pale skin but Mahalo works as a lid wash.

Mahalo has a texture which is hard to capture on camera. It's metallic and complex and makes a first class spectator sport colour (i.e. you could get joy from just looking at it swatched whether you ever wore it or not).

Homecoming works wonderfully on yellow/gold warm but very pale skins as a highlighter - something that is quite rare as few colours are made for that skintone without being very neutral or slightly pinkish. Both are highly recommended in particular if you're fair and pretty universally lovely if you've got medium or darker skin tones.
Trainer

Post by Trainer » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:02 pm

Oh thank you, Cupcake! That was a fantastic comparison! Good luck with your move!
ladycattat

Post by ladycattat » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:19 am

Oh, Phooey! I just ordered Bristol based on your review, Cupcake, and it sounds as if I should have waited for for Homecoming Queen.
I am that very fair, yellow toned gal of a *certain age* that is finding it harder and harder to find shadow colors that don't accentuate the creases and crinkles of my eyelids.
I had done an EOTD one day last week, and I really liked the way it looked, and I took a photo of it and I was happy that the colors actually showed up, but when I did the closed eye shot, ACK!!!!! the crease of my eyelid actually creased, like it had been wearing makeup all day long long and got all smeary. I was horrified. I had JUST put on my makeup....and it wasn't smeared......It is just my body telling me *ha ha....you aren't 20 anymore!*

So.....ladies....be grateful for things as silly as smooth eyelids!
I hope I made you laugh. I'm not *quite* that vain!

xx
Laurie
Summer,2012
90 Medium
5 BG
5.5 yellow

HG: Sheer Zinc Powder
and Equalizer
E/S..Spellbound, Adorn, and Juiced,
Lips: Roxie,Kinetic, Fascinate, Glacier, Nice Tan

There cannot be a crisis until next week. My schedule is already full.
Henry Kissinger
Cupcake

Post by Cupcake » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:47 am

I hear you, Laurie! I just hit 36 but my eyelids have had a bit too much wear over the years and lets just say that shimmer is not my friend. You can't be too gentle with your eyes, girls. A very respected skincare expert I know said that over 80% of damage around the eyes (fine lines, wrinkless, slackness, etc) is caused over the years by how you touch the skin (like when applying or removing makeup).

I really strongly recommend building an arsenal of Homecoming Queen, Mojave, Bristol, Bailey and Bone as a "cures everything" collection to create a 'my skin but better' effect. Mojave's in there for some depth, along with Earth and maybe Mahalo.

If you're fair with yellow or gold undertones and find that pink bases clash against skin tones and if peachy colours like Sandy or yellows like Papyrus and Buttercup are much too dark to highlight and they stand out with some depth against the skin tone, then these newest colours are just what you've been waiting for.

Bristol is like a veil of deflection and deception. :lol: A light swish of this, lash to brow, and it's a bit like the rejuvenating effect of that ole' faithful Px Magic skin illuminator. It doesn't impart colour exactly but it adds a bloom and radiance without - and that's important for subtlety - without the high shine pearl of other highlighters (Vanilla comes to mind) and without sparkle. It's just you, but fresher and with a good night's sleep. Bailey is the healthy glow for a crease or lid and counteracts that pale, washed out look. Together, they're "my skin but better". Bone, for those who don't know, is a perfect pale, matte neutral staple. Homecoming Queen is everything I wished Papyrus had been, but pale enough to wear as a highlighter and with the most beautiful tone of sheen. It's ideal for drawing attention, rather than refreshing and enlivening secretly. It's perfect around the inner eye corner or for the brow if you like to draw attention there with some shimmer.

Throw in Earth, Mahalo, Idolize for darker colours and a liner (Basalt is good) and you're ready for everything. 8-)
zeebs

Post by zeebs » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:55 am

I am 30 and I have pretty smooth skin but Laurie, I totally feel you. I also have Bristol and Homecoming on my wish list and am wondering which will be better... Boom is really good but Nova is too cool...Vanilla looked ashy and too pale... Merry is waaay too shimmery for a highlight... IDK which colors to order.
Die Marchen

Post by Die Marchen » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:53 pm

Cupcake it was a poem! :-)

And you're right about being careful with the eyes... I wear lenses and in my very late 20s I can hardly make a eotd without crease lines while there ain't any in the flesh.
I try to take care of them...
Current ratio, Sept. 13: 1 Ebony : 1 Buttery Gold : 15 All Purpose : 5 Ivory : 2 Yellow : 1 Liberty : 1 Beach Bunny
The mix is pale and does't look yellow
egerandi

Post by egerandi » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:39 pm

I'm sure glad I ordered Homecoming Queen, but I also have Bristol on my wishlist for later :)

Have you considered Mojave? I know it looks a little tanner than HQ or Boom, but it's a very good one-wash and even works as highlight *and* blush on my skin.
Trainer

Post by Trainer » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:02 pm

egerandi wrote:I'm sure glad I ordered Homecoming Queen, but I also have Bristol on my wishlist for later :)

Have you considered Mojave? I know it looks a little tanner than HQ or Boom, but it's a very good one-wash and even works as highlight *and* blush on my skin.
I have mojave, and it is one of my favorite eyeshadows (for now! ;) ) I'm afraid that homecoming might be too light for a lid wash...
egerandi

Post by egerandi » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:21 pm

Trainer wrote:
egerandi wrote:I'm sure glad I ordered Homecoming Queen, but I also have Bristol on my wishlist for later :)

I have mojave, and it is one of my favorite eyeshadows (for now! ;) ) I'm afraid that homecoming might be too light for a lid wash...
Oh, I figured. Can't wait to use it as highlight! I've been going so minimal, that my perfecting glows (Liberty and Crystal) have been standing in as multipurpose highlights. I can't wait to go back to the 'real stuff' :)