solid fragrances not permeating enough?

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
pinkpomelo

solid fragrances not permeating enough?

Post by pinkpomelo » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:22 am

I seem to read posts from some of you ladies about how your friends comment about your new scent.

Unfortunately, while I love the new scents, its been 3 days running that I've worn a different scent, and everyone I've asked say they can't smell anything. That is until they get their nose right up to my wrist/neck.

Does anyone else have this challenge of making the scent more evident? What can I do?

I don't want to smear too much on because it gets a little waxy on my skin.
faithtoh.blogspot.com
Currently foundation formula: 1 Warm Gold + 1 Ebony + 5 Heavy Ivory
Oil Control Blur Finishing Powder
Pristine Perfecting Powder or Date Bait
zeebs

Re: solid fragrances not permeating enough?

Post by zeebs » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:27 am

I've had the same problem. Does it work better on dry skin, maybe?
kitten1711

Post by kitten1711 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:57 am

I love the scent of the ones I ordered, but agree that the fragrance doesn't last for long on my skin.

I have been using it behind my ears, on my wrists.......should I be more generous in my application?
lwoodall10

Post by lwoodall10 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:59 am

I have also had the same problem. I only purchased one full size fragrance and I love the scent, but it doesn't seem to stay on long. I thought it was just me... ;)
JenW

Post by JenW » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:19 am

I usually slather it on my wrists. Not sure doing that on the ears and neck sound good, but I can't see anyhting in them to cause too much of a problem. I personally haven't had trouble with the scent lasting on my wrists. I usually was one to spray my clothes in order to get a scent to last before. Regular spray sents never really lasted on my skin so this seems to work pretty well for me.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
pinkfox

Post by pinkfox » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:25 am

I'd agree of the four I have the only one that seems to really linger is my Petite Cherie. The other fade rather quickly.
Lyn
Know yourself!
See Spot. See Spot Change.
See Doctor... or See Spot Kill.
educate yourself
http://www.mpip.org

Live every day as if it is your LAST chance to make someone happy!
pinkpomelo

Post by pinkpomelo » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:52 am

pinkfox wrote:I'd agree of the four I have the only one that seems to really linger is my Petite Cherie. The other fade rather quickly.
Haha, Petite Cherie is one of those that I can't seem to get to stay on me.
JenW wrote:I usually slather it on my wrists. Not sure doing that on the ears and neck sound good, but I can't see anyhting in them to cause too much of a problem.
I rubbed the full-sized wand of Petite Cherie all over my neck today, and it felt weird. Haha.

"Slather"? You mean like liberally apply all over my forearm?

Also, there's a huge temptation to rub the ointment until it feels less waxy/oiley. Should I not be doing that? And just let it stay? But then I can feel it there.
faithtoh.blogspot.com
Currently foundation formula: 1 Warm Gold + 1 Ebony + 5 Heavy Ivory
Oil Control Blur Finishing Powder
Pristine Perfecting Powder or Date Bait
JenW

Post by JenW » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:46 am

I just apply around my wrists, not my forearm. I have not moved to the neck, yet. I will have to try it. Looking forward to seeing if I get the 'weird' feeling. I have a sneaking suspicion that my neck will love anything with the smallest amount of moisture in this dry, cold weather, but I will let you know.

I really love the transporatbility of the scents. I guess for me, I have really not wanted to wear scents that others could smell much (too many scent sensitives in my life) so these are ideal for me. I do mostly just wear them for me.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:04 am

Fragrances are one of those things that get really effected by body chemistry, and they're all pretty unique. I can't wear Chanel Number 5- but it smells lovely on my mother. They're all a little different too...some perfumes stay close to the skin, others project it in every direction. Some you can't scrub away, but there are others that can be gone pretty quickly. It's all pretty dependant on the scent, and the person wearing it.

I do a couple of swipes up my forearm, and then rub it in with my other wrist. They say that you shouldn't rub your wrists together because you might "damage" the delicate fragrances- but really, the way most fragrance components are made- being rubbed into skin is about the most gentle thing they have done to them.
I also think part of it is when you spritz something it covers a bigger area, and there's more that gets on you...these are meant to be a bit more "casual". They are pretty easy to stash in your purse- so if you have something that you really love, it's pretty easy to refresh it during the day.

The other thing that you can try is Helena was mentioning that she wanted something for her hair- like a pomade that you can apply. I got to thinking about it last night- thought about the ingredients that are already in there, and gave it a try. I just rubbed some onto the palm of my hand and then smoothed it through my hair- that really worked well. The ingredients are sunflower oil, cyclomethicone and beeswax- so it's kind of like a shine serum/pomade (shine serums are pretty much just all silicone)- so you have to be a little careful about it looking greasy, but it smoothed my hair pretty nicely.and it still smells a little bit like it this morning.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
Cupcake

Post by Cupcake » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:36 am

Ah cool, glad you gave it a try, Karen

I was surprised that the ladies didn't find that the scent lasted. I tried Petit Cherie (reminds me of Philosophy Amazing Grace a little bit) on one wrist and Tobacco Vanilla (that's how all men should smell!) on the other wrist, let it brew and mature for a while and then went for a shower so that I could try two more samples. I took a netting scrunchie scrub thing for shower gel and some lemon soap and I *scrubbed* my wrists - and the scent was still there afterwards.

Curiously, I then tried Karma and Treasure the next day. I personally didn't enjoy them as much (too much patchouli for me, but otherwise lovely, recommend the Treasure one). Those are very much on the stronger end of the fragrance spectrum, but they faded in less than two hours.

Tahiti (my preciousssssss) just needs a light rub and it slowly amplifies for a couple hours and then mellows away. Lasts all days and subtly changes throughout as the base notes evolve. Perfect!

Oh - Roja Dove - world famous perfume-make expert dude said that ladies should apply scent along their collar bones. Not on the neck as any alcohol would age the skin tissue, not behind the ears because of the sebaceous glands secretions would alter the perfume chemistry. He recommended collar bones (and I loved how he said with a wry smile that it's a good place to entice your man to come sample the fragrance on you)