POLL:How do you get your sun protection?

cosmeticcosmos

POLL:How do you get your sun protection?

Post by cosmeticcosmos » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:56 am

I'm shopping for a new sunbloack and I'm curious which brand (if any) sunblock all of you use, or do you forgo it and hope your mineral powder is doing something to block the sun?
buscardelalma

Re: POLL:How do you get your sun protection?

Post by buscardelalma » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:23 pm

I just got a new one called episencial sunny sunscreen spf 35...Haven't tried it but it looks good, very good ingredients compared to what's out there.
egerandi

Post by egerandi » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:47 pm

Oh, good topic!

I would be curious for the body! I use zinc, ultimate treatment powder and raspberry moisturizer for my face and it's been working, but then again, I stay out of the sun as much as I can. I used to mix up stuff for my body, but if there is a reliable physical sunscreen out there for the body that doesn't break the bank, I'd be all over it.
extemter

BurnOut suncreen

Post by extemter » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:53 pm

If you don't mind chemical absorbers, I would recommend Neutrogena with Helioplex or L'Oreal with ecamsule (Mexoryl SX or Mexoryl XL). For several reasons, I'm searching for a physical-only block for myself, i.e. zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide. I don't currently wear any sunscreen or sunblock, but I want to try http://www.burnoutsun.com because (1) it's zinc oxide only, (2) it offers high protection, (3) its ingredients seem like something my oily inflammatory acne-prone skin could tolerate, (4) it's reasonably priced, and (5) it sounds like it's cosmetically and aesthetically elegant based on what I've read on skincare boards like makeupalley and Essential Day Spa. From the Internet, I also have a positive impression about Elta MD. In the past, sunscreens that have caught my attention (that I never tried) have been Devita and Sofina Lucent, but Devita has since been unfavorably reformulated and Sofina Lucent (its name is actually much longer) is discontinued.
aud

Re: BurnOut suncreen

Post by aud » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:54 pm

extemter wrote:If you don't mind chemical absorbers, I would recommend Neutrogena with Helioplex or L'Oreal with ecamsule (Mexoryl SX or Mexoryl XL). For several reasons, I'm searching for a physical-only block for myself, i.e. zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide. I don't currently wear any sunscreen or sunblock, but I want to try http://www.burnoutsun.com because (1) it's zinc oxide only, (2) it offers high protection, (3) its ingredients seem like something my oily inflammatory acne-prone skin could tolerate, (4) it's reasonably priced, and (5) it sounds like it's cosmetically and aesthetically elegant based on what I've read on skincare boards like makeupalley and Essential Day Spa. From the Internet, I also have a positive impression about Elta MD. In the past, sunscreens that have caught my attention (that I never tried) have been Devita and Sofina Lucent, but Devita has since been unfavorably reformulated and Sofina Lucent (its name is actually much longer) is discontinued.
I've tried burntout. It's quite tacky and has a very thick texture. Also has a strong scent that I didn't like. Used it a couple of times when I went diving and that was it. Not something for daily usage imo.

I like Devita's Solar Protective Moisturiser for the face. It now comes in a 2.5oz tube form. 19% zinc and has a slightly shiny appearance but that's easily solved with loose powder or even the zinc perfecting powder from SN.
Current SN foundation mix: 4 Buttery Gold: 2 Yellow Boosters: 21 Medium Ivory: 8 Original Ivory: 3 Glow
Favourite SN lippies (currently): Darling, Barcelona (Gumball), Menage
Favourite SN blushers: Carnal, Satisfied
extemter

BurnOut suncreen

Post by extemter » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:06 pm

aud, thanks for your reviews! Which version of BurnOut did you try?
JenK

Post by JenK » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:57 pm

I work outside so I am always on the search for the perfect sunscreen. When I've just used MMU I haven't gotten burned, but my melasma darkens. I was using Clinique City Sheer for awhile, it has a slight tint (works on my neutral light skin, don't see how even medium skin could use it w/o makeup) it has TD and ZO. I am not a fan of TD, very thick and on me pore clogging. This week I just started using CeraVe SPF 30 (chemical and ZO), so far no reactions. When I use to use oils I would make my own w/ Z-cote. I'm not sure if regular ZO needs oil to dissolve. You can always add ZO and or TD (GOW sells it or did ) to your favorite serum or cream.
aud

Re: BurnOut suncreen

Post by aud » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:31 am

extemter wrote:aud, thanks for your reviews! Which version of BurnOut did you try?
The Ocean Tested version http://burnoutsun.com/mm5/merchant.mvc? ... _sunscreen

If you plan on trying the Eco-Sensitive Zinc Oxide version, please do let me know your thoughts and findings :) It's a tad expensive for me to order direct from the US + shipping (if it turns out as tacky as the one I tried) and I haven't come across anyone here in Singapore who has used this version.

One of the ladies on our local forum has also used Burntout's Zinc Oxide lipbalm and reported that it goes on pretty thick with a very obvious white cast. Once again, not for daily use, but for water sports, should be ok.

But to be fair, when I used the Burntout sunscreen, I did not get burnt. When I switched to my La Roche Posay Anthelios sunscreen on the last diving day, my face did darken quite a bit, despite the sunscreen being water-resistant. So, Burntout does score on the water-resistant front.
Current SN foundation mix: 4 Buttery Gold: 2 Yellow Boosters: 21 Medium Ivory: 8 Original Ivory: 3 Glow
Favourite SN lippies (currently): Darling, Barcelona (Gumball), Menage
Favourite SN blushers: Carnal, Satisfied
on_a_mission

Post by on_a_mission » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:24 pm

This is the best mineral sunscreen I've found in Australia! It's a little thick, but rubs in okay.

Natural Instinct Micro-Mineral Sunscreen
cosmeticcosmos

Post by cosmeticcosmos » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:50 pm

aud,

I'm interested in Devita as well. Do you know if it seems suitable for skin with acne?