Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
sweetjasmine

Re: Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Post by sweetjasmine » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:12 pm

I am in desperate need of finding the right base color....I have been using EDM for the past two years but have not been able to find a true match. I've tried just about every color in the "olive", "beige" and "buff" families. Golden medium is ok but tends to turn orange by the end of the day...Linen is fine but seems a little too ashy....Perfect is the right tone but too light and the list goes on....

I always thought I had olive undertones but I'm not really sure..I can wear both white and ivory and tend to look better in silver jewelry. I tan but always burn initially...

I have attached a couple of pictures, one without makeup and the other wearing golden medium from EDM (i think...i can't remember)... :roll:

Any color advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.... :D
Attachments
EDM golden medium base
EDM golden medium base
DSC_0492.JPG (92.02 KiB) Viewed 3024 times
no makeup
no makeup
DSC_0105.JPG (72.12 KiB) Viewed 3025 times
bohemian

Post by bohemian » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:17 pm

JenW wrote:
bohemian wrote:I will try olive mix .how much ivory should I use for olive mix if it's medium coverage?I will try that too maybe not for daily use,for special occasions.and I will get a untinted oil control blur.thanks ;)
14 Ivory is just a guess...... I would start at 12 and then see if you are trying out Medium Coverage. I think you might need a few more scoops Ivory, but it is hard to fine tune that from a pic. ;) I hope it works for you!

thanks a lot :)
Babydoll

Post by Babydoll » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:13 pm

OK Jen -

I need your help again...

Two things:
1. I want to add a scoop of ivory glow to my foundation...would one scoop of glow just replace once scoop of the ivory I am using?
2. I want to do a batch that is part heavy, part medium what ratio would I use?

I am currently using: Medium 1:6 warm gold

Thanks so much!!
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:04 pm

Sierra wrote:Hi Jen,

I'm very confused about what foundation to order. I am an EDM Medium Beige Neutral. I'm somewhat of a misfit as I have darker golden blond hair and brown eyes, but any makeup that smacks of yellow or gold looks off on me (although I look just fine in gold jewelry). My guess would be Ebony, but that just doesn't seem to sound right either... :)
Help!
Sorry it has taken so long to get to this thread.....

Ebony will probably be pretty close. I would also get a sample of Warm Gold for blending in if you need it. Just by the color of your hair, the Ebony might look a tad flat. I would go 1Ebony:0.5Warm Gold:about 6 Ivory.

Otherwise Peach? 1:12? The Peach will have very little in the way of golden but might have a tad of yellow. Warm Gold will have a little gold and yellow. Can you pm me a pic? Olive might be good, too. (I only think of Olive because I am like you that I can't carry off the golden or yellow in foundations very well, and for me Peach is too pink and Ebony is a little flat.)
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:08 pm

sweetjasmine wrote:I am in desperate need of finding the right base color....I have been using EDM for the past two years but have not been able to find a true match. I've tried just about every color in the "olive", "beige" and "buff" families. Golden medium is ok but tends to turn orange by the end of the day...Linen is fine but seems a little too ashy....Perfect is the right tone but too light and the list goes on....

I always thought I had olive undertones but I'm not really sure..I can wear both white and ivory and tend to look better in silver jewelry. I tan but always burn initially...

I have attached a couple of pictures, one without makeup and the other wearing golden medium from EDM (i think...i can't remember)... :roll:

Any color advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.... :D
You know, even before I read your post, I thought Olive. I would try it at about a 1 scoop color to 9 or 10 Ivory. The only other color that might work (based more on your post than the pics) is Buttery Gold at about 1:5 or 6 Ivory.
Faves-
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:42 pm

Babydoll wrote:OK Jen -

I need your help again...

Two things:
1. I want to add a scoop of ivory glow to my foundation...would one scoop of glow just replace once scoop of the ivory I am using?
2. I want to do a batch that is part heavy, part medium what ratio would I use?

I am currently using: Medium 1:6 warm gold

Thanks so much!!
1. For Medium Coverage it will be nearly exactly a one for one Glow Base.
2. I would probably use about the same ratio and adjust if necessary. (If it is too light...add a small portion of a color base scoop...if it is too dark, add more white.)
Faves-
Lillpinglan

Post by Lillpinglan » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:41 am

JenW wrote:
Lillpinglan wrote: Wow, thank you tons for such a quick response! :) I heard that I have to mix my own stuff, I think that I have to study a bit before i place my order. :)

Eyes.. I'm totally lost when it comes to using eye shadows, so I guess that I need neutrals... I want my eyes to look clear, awake, highlighted.. young.. ;).. After that picture was taken I have had another baby and haven't slept for four months. I sooo need a make over! :)
Mixing is fairly easy. You will need to make sure you order some type of sample kit. They will include a jar and a small scoop. The scoop is just a smaller version of what you use in your kitchen. I usually level it off on the side of the sample baggie, and tap the contents of the scoop into the jar. Once all the scoops are in there to meet your ratio, you put the lid on and shake. Then you can test it on one side of your face. It does take several minutes to meld with your skin and it will most likely go on looking light.

The Mixed Metals colors are great neutrals in eyeshadow. Tawny, Papyrus, Heather, Burnished...plus Purr (or Sandy if you want a less sparkley version)!

Congrats on the baby....and I hope you get some sleep, soon! My baby is 10 and I sleep well right now.....we will see how I do when he is driving :shock: ......
Thanks again for your reply, I have placed my first order and will sit by my mailbox waiting.. (almost.. ). I'm excited! I think it's a bit difficult to find the shadows in your website, are they named Mixed Metals in the index somewhere? They don't seem to be listed letterwise? Another thing, I'd like to post a profile picture but i'm failing everytime.. Advise?
JenW

Post by JenW » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:20 am

Lilpinglan-

I will pm you my regular email address, or you can send it through the website and I will answer it there.

The Mixed Metals colors are in the vegan shadows. (Burnished, Alloy, Patina, Heather, Wheat Penny, Papyrus, Tawny) And the do come as a kit on the kits page. We do have an index if you look for a link on the main page to all products.....
Faves-
carro

Post by carro » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:44 pm

Here is some pictures of me, I can´t believe I´m posting pictures of me without makeup for the hole world to see :o .
One is taken without flash and the other with flash.

Winter I´m quite pale. In the summers I burn easily, but I do get quite a tan if i take it carefully in the sun in the beginning, but firts I only get freckles or burn.
I think I´m cool but with some warm undertones as well, but I´m not sure. I don´t like to wear warm colours like red and brown. My veins on the inside of my wrists are both green and purple.

I´m new here and need some foundation-help, where do I start? I also like to cover up my dark cirkles under my eyes as I rearly get that much sleep with two small children.
My skin tends to get dry but I don´t have that much except the dark circles to cover up, but my pores around the nose and cheeks closest to the nose have enlarged pores, do you think the original formula is the best choice for me?

I don´t say no to a few tips on blushes, eyeshaddow or lipcolour if you have any suggestions :D .

Thank you for helping me!
JenW

Post by JenW » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:28 pm

carro wrote: I´m new here and need some foundation-help, where do I start? I also like to cover up my dark cirkles under my eyes as I rearly get that much sleep with two small children.
My skin tends to get dry but I don´t have that much except the dark circles to cover up, but my pores around the nose and cheeks closest to the nose have enlarged pores, do you think the original formula is the best choice for me?

I don´t say no to a few tips on blushes, eyeshaddow or lipcolour if you have any suggestions :D .

Thank you for helping me!
Hi carro...
I think you will fall into our Warm Gold category. For a starting ratio, measure 1 scoop Warm Gold base and mix with about 9 Original Ivory base. For a concealer, try Extra Light Peach Sleep in a Jar. Original coverage is the easiest place to start. It is a little easier to mix than the heavier bases.

Blushes: Flirt
Lips: Maiden Organic gloss
Eyes: Sandy and Danny

If you need more help when your package arrives, let us know!
Faves-