Differences between lippies (sheer sparkle-y ones)

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
MBlovesSN

Differences between lippies (sheer sparkle-y ones)

Post by MBlovesSN » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:56 pm

Judging based on the tone of the color (warm versus cool), shade of the color (pink, plum, peach, brown/tan, red), opacity, and sparkle, how do the following colors compare?:

Sugar, Gold Blush, Precious, Foreplay, Swing, Creampuff

I am wanting a lippie to wear on light make-up days and I think one of the above would be perfect. I am trying to decide which one to get but they seem very similar as far as sheerness and sparkle goes so that makes it a little tough. :?

Thanks everybody!
Favorites

Blush: Abstract, Maybe Baby, and Poppy
Eyeshadows: Blanket Fort, Cult, Danny, Latte, and Moss
Lipsticks: All In, Asset, Eternal, Notion, and Syntax
feyith

Re: Differences between lippies (sheer sparkle-y ones)

Post by feyith » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:41 am

If you haven't tried the new formula yet, Swing is amazing for light/no makeup days!
Oxana124

Post by Oxana124 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:06 am

They are all sheer with shimmer.
Gold Blush and Foreplay are warm peachy pinks, while Creampuff and Swing are cool pinks. Creampuff is a little darker than Swing.
I love Heirloom for no makeup days, it has finer shimmer than the lippies you mentioned, and is a warm peachy pink, however some people say it looks cool pink on them, so it must depend on the undertones in your skin and the natural color of your lips.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Oxana124
http://swatchsoiree.blogspot.com
bellatete

Post by bellatete » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:15 pm

i have all the colours you mentioned except for gold blush, which i used up already. i use sheer(ish) lippies as lip balm with a bonus (bit of shimmer, bit of colour), and gold blush was really perfect for that. precious is good too for that purpose, it's a less sheer version of gold blush.

precious is my office lippie at the moment. i will take it home with me tomorrow, then i will swatch the lippies you mentioned, plus all other colours i think would match your requirements.
MBlovesSN

Post by MBlovesSN » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:01 am

Swing seems like a popular choice. I haven't tried the new formula yet so that may be the way to go!

Bellatete, if you do the comparison swatches, that would be great. I'm interested to see how they stack up to each other (especially since I am still eyeing a few of the ones listed).
Favorites

bellatete

Post by bellatete » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:50 am

oh yes, the swatches... so sorry!! i was a little busy the last couple of days.
but i will do the swatches asap, and i even found my used up gold blush which still has some in it to scrape out ;)
bellatete

Post by bellatete » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:08 pm

MBlovesSN, i finally got around to swatching the lippies you mentioned, in the following order from left to right:
- sugar
- gold blush
- precious
- foreplay
- swing
- creampuff

Oxana also mentioned:
- heirloom

and i felt free to add 2 more sheer sparkly colours that might fit your bill:
- pout
- bon bon

i personally really liked gold blush as a lip balm substitute. i always thought that precious was the less sheer version of gold blush, but on the swatch clearly it isn't. i think that gold blush has a more buttery/melty consistency, so it appears sheerer on the lips and gives more of a balmy feeling.

swing on me is neither warm nor cold, but pretty much neutral, and i love the kissable cream formula.

bon bon is not to be underestimated. it looks brown on my forearm, but when i put it on my lips it just deepens their natural colour, adds a bit of sparkle and juiciness, and just looks lovely :)

i hope that helps you make a choice ;) let me know if you need more info/swatches!!
Attachments
lippies.jpg
lippies.jpg (46.19 KiB) Viewed 3525 times
MBlovesSN

Post by MBlovesSN » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:36 pm

Thanks so much for posting the swatches.....it really does help to see them all side by side.

I think Sugar is a good warmish sheer color. I went ahead and ordered that one this past week based on which one I thought I would like the most.

I didn't realize Gold Blush would show up as well as it did (at least swatched on your arm). Heirloom looks nice for a neutral pink with opacity and Bon Bon might be the best brown I can find to match Nina blush.

I can definitely see the rest of these lippies making their way into my stash eventually.....must "get through" other lippies first!
Favorites

bellatete

Post by bellatete » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:25 am

glad i could help!!

regarding gold blush, i think there are 2 reasons why it shows up so much in the swatch:
1) the skin on my arm is lighter than an average lip :lol: and
2) i had to scoop this colour out with a cotton bud, so it might be a slightly thicker swatch than the others (although i tried to smooth it out with the other end of the bud)
as i wrote previously, it is more buttery and balmy than the others of that lot, so at least on me it was rather like a lip balm with gold shimmer and maybe a teensy bit of a pink tint, but barely noticable.

i think sugar is a good choice, it seems to be a combination of most of the other colours you were interested in.

oh, and i totally understand that you want to use up some other lippies before ordering more. that is the reason i started to use the sheerer ones as lip balms :oops: i just cannot resist karen's lippies!!