Let's chat about lipgloss...

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
JeiaMoore

Re: Let's chat about lipgloss...

Post by JeiaMoore » Tue May 18, 2010 8:11 pm

Liquids or Tubes
Tubes have the edge for me as they are easier to use, but liquids are okay.

Flavors
The current slightly sweet probably would work best for most people but I do love that Devil's Chocolate Cake :twisted: .

Colours
I can't wear warm or very neutral (eg. browny) shades :cry: , so anything cool (red, berry, pink, plum, purple etc) is good for me. Would prefer mid tone or dark but sheer (very light colours wash me out).

Glossiness
I like satin/shiny. Basically a happy medium - no matte or semi matte but not plastic looking shine either.

Texture
Other than colour this is the most most important factor for me - must be as smooth and moisturizing as possible. I like the colour and smoothness of some of the lipglosses- Seedy, Berry Nice, Damsel etc, but need the moisture of the clear Black label or Bad girl balm :roll: . I don't mind a little shimmer but only when it is very fine and super subtle (so you can't feel it on the lips and can only see it in the right light).

Lasting time
Anything from 2-3 hours I consider long lasting for glosses since I drink water pretty much constantly. I like it if there's a slight stain of colour left, just so I don't need to reapply the gloss straight away.

Plumping
Given the choice I'll always choose a plumping lipgloss over non plumping. I could use that extra ooph :D .

ETA: Thanks for asking this Karen, I'm really enjoying reading everyones suggestions and ideas :)
Last edited by JeiaMoore on Tue May 18, 2010 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oxana124

Post by Oxana124 » Tue May 18, 2010 8:17 pm

Just wanted to add something I remembered about the tubes. The clear slim tube that Truly came in when it was a GWP was AWESOME! I would LOVE for all the tubes to be clear ones like that. It would make it tons easier to find the color I am looking for as I fumble through my pile of lippies :)
https://www.youtube.com/user/Oxana124
http://swatchsoiree.blogspot.com
zooeyblue

Post by zooeyblue » Tue May 18, 2010 8:30 pm

Oxana124 wrote:Just wanted to add something I remembered about the tubes. The clear slim tube that Truly came in when it was a GWP was AWESOME! I would LOVE for all the tubes to be clear ones like that. It would make it tons easier to find the color I am looking for as I fumble through my pile of lippies :)
Yes! I totally agree!! :D
~Tracy~
selki

Post by selki » Tue May 18, 2010 8:32 pm

berceuse wrote:Colors: A light-medium lavender pink...I guess that'd be orchid? Also, a creamy peach...something that is more opaque and lighter than what's currently offered. My lips are very pigmented, so I'd love to see some slightly more opaque colors that would show up on me.
I'd like the second the requests above!! I love the color of Mimosa, in terms of peaches, but it's too sheer to really show up on my lips.
"The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals." ~ Anonymous
selki

Post by selki » Tue May 18, 2010 8:38 pm

Oxana124 wrote:Just wanted to add something I remembered about the tubes. The clear slim tube that Truly came in when it was a GWP was AWESOME! I would LOVE for all the tubes to be clear ones like that. It would make it tons easier to find the color I am looking for as I fumble through my pile of lippies :)
I agree that clear tubes would be awesome!!
"The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals." ~ Anonymous
JeiaMoore

Post by JeiaMoore » Tue May 18, 2010 8:41 pm

Just spotted this, agreed with a lot of what Cupcake said but this -
Cupcake wrote: .... Or if you could make Seedy Black Label, I'd just buy a vat-full and never need another colour ever again. Ach, I don't mind, I've already got several HG's (contradiction in numerical terms) so I'm already happy. 8-)

x1000!

Seedy but more moisturizing (in a tube, sheer with no shimmer, stevia flavour) maybe with a bit of the lip plump ingredient (if it's truely non-irritating) would be my dream - never have to purchase another colour- lippie :D .
lilychemgirl

Post by lilychemgirl » Tue May 18, 2010 10:50 pm

1 - Do you want a liquid, or a tube? I prefer the tubes you have now, or a squeeze tube. I am not a big fan of wand glosses. I like both liquid and solid gloss.

2 - Do you want it sweet, or flavored? Stevia sweetened and either a very mild or no flavor. I also don't mind unflavored, but for a lipstick/gloss I don't like really strong flavors.

3 - How glossy do you want it? I like the glossiness of the vegan formula. I prefer either no shimmer or relatively subtle gold shimmer (my favorite - think bobbi or precious, shimmer, but not frosty like berry crush). I also love a tiny bit of black iron oxide, basically everything looks prettier with a bit of swank over the top, so that sort of look is ideal for me.

4 - What colors would you like? I would love to see a purple kind of like my pretty but a little darker and with some gold shimmer (just subtle, so it was not too cool) and a darker sheer purple, a more opaque peach and the love child of swank and Berry nice and a sheer bright orange/tangarine (font colours are not representative of true colours desired :lol: )

5 - How long should it last on your lips before you consider it long lasting? I'm not too worried about that, if it feels good and looks good I don't mind if it wears off.

6 - Would you absolutely refuse to use a plumping product? I would use a plumper, but I don't actually need plumping. My pretty was fine, but I wouldn't be more likely to buy that than a non plumping version.

Thanks for asking Karen! :D

*edited to correct error*
Mineral makeup addict, Mama to three amazing girls, loving wife to Tom ♥
aud

Post by aud » Wed May 19, 2010 12:01 am

selki wrote:
I agree that clear tubes would be awesome!!

Yes please, clear tubes :) They would "truly" help
Current SN foundation mix: 4 Buttery Gold: 2 Yellow Boosters: 21 Medium Ivory: 8 Original Ivory: 3 Glow
Favourite SN lippies (currently): Darling, Barcelona (Gumball), Menage
Favourite SN blushers: Carnal, Satisfied
egerandi

Post by egerandi » Wed May 19, 2010 2:31 am

One more vote for Seedy, I still miss it :(
kitten1711

Post by kitten1711 » Wed May 19, 2010 3:17 am

I love what you do with lipglosses already but thanks for asking all the same :)

Tubes or Liquids:
I much prefer tubes - eminently more portable, less gloopy on the lips, and no mess around the cap after repeated use; also tend not to get that sticky gummy residue at the corners with the twist up tubes.

Flavours:
I like whatever you use currently; personally I prefer a subtle flavour and would be put off by anything too strongly scented - as Cupcake said, keep the myriad flavours to lipbalms.

Colours:
Now this is a difficult one and I'm sure you won't get the same answer twice - in autumn & winter I prefer neutral shades but in summer gravitate towards corals & brighter tones in general. Peaches, apricots, etc. I also like the idea of semi transparent 'pop gloss' shades - like a hot / fuscia pink (very Cheryl Cole) or electro orange (sounds awful, but Sleek Cosmetics have a couple of shades of Pout Polish - Electro peach & Pink Cadillac) which I find myself repeatedly swatching at the moment http://www.sleekmakeup.com/en/products/ ... h-150.aspx

Glossiness & stickiness:
I suspect you'll see a wide difference in preference in this category based on age of the respondent :lol: I hate sticky goopy lip glosses; I like a bit of a sheen for everyday wear (like Negligee's finish) as it makes my lips appear healthy and plumper, but it would be nice to have a clear liquid gloss available separately to layer over the top of the regular shades for an evening out or just to change things up a bit.

Texture & finish:
I love the feel of Negligee, so more of that sort of texture for me please - it's just the right level of softness and creaminess combined with good levels of pigmentation. I personally dislike anything but the most subtle of frosted/shimmer / pearl finishes, so more creamy mattes on my wish list. Favourites include Maiden, Bloom, Negligee (it's fantastic so needs mentioning again)......

How long-lasting:
Anything that lasts two or more hours.

Plumping:
I can take or leave plumping; if it stings then a definite no, but if it's a gentle can't-tell-it's-anything-other-than-a-regular-lipgloss sorta feel then that's fine.